What is connection between low ferritin level and RLS? Is it possible that someone has RLS because of iron deficiency? My husband suffers from RLS and I’ve noticed that his ferritin level is always low. I asked the nurse that did blood test and she wasn’t really helpful. What is the explanation for this?

I read some study which claims that the relationship between iron deficiency and a later onset of RLS was strong in this study. In this study of 147 elderly hospital patients with insomnia, iron deficiency (ferritin < 18 ng/mL) was present in 31% of the 13 patients with RLS and 6% of the 134 patients without RLS. Serum ferritin is accepted as the best screening test for iron deficiency, and, the diagnosis of iron deficiency is almost certain in those with ferritin levels below 20 ng/mL and is likely in those with levels less than 50 ng/mL. A search for an underlying cause of iron deficiency is usually indicated, as RLS has reportedly occurred as a presenting symptom, however, they did not find iron or ferritin deficiency as a major cause of RLS in an elderly population.