Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what are normal levels of cardiac markers? A very close friend of mine had received the results of the test he did, the one that measures his cardiac markers, I don't know what's it called, anyway, he received the results and he asked me if I can find out what are the normal levels of these markers. I hope that someone here had some experience with this matter so they can tell me something about it. All I know is that he did this in order to find out if he has any heart diseases.

Hey Guest,

This is a bit hard of a question to answer. These normal levels of cardiac markers aren't really the same for all people and there is a bunch of these markers. Well, not bunch, there are about 7 of them I think and all of these have their own normal levels. Troponin I should be around 0 - 0.1 ng/ml and Troponin T around 0 - 0.2 ng/ml. Myoglobin in males should be 10 - 95 ng/ml.

This is just some info that I found while searching around for the normal levels of cardiac markers, it didn't come from my own experience.

Hi Adria,

I understand that. My friend already tried searching for these normal levels of cardiac markers in his medicine book and on the internet and he gave up shortly after, that's why he asked me. I visit your forum sometimes because you have a lot of information here and I saw you help out so many other people. At least you gave me some directions, that's good for a start. If there is anyone else who knows more about these markers, I would appreciate any info. Also, I would like to know which conditions can these markers actually point out at?

Hi Guest,

Cardiac markers are used in the diagnosis and risk stratification of patients with chest pain and suspected acute coronary syndrome (ACS). The cardiac troponins, in particular, have become the cardiac markers of choice for patients with ACS. Indeed, cardiac troponin is central to the definition of acute myocardial infarction. For example, patients with elevated troponin levels but negative creatine kinase-MB (CK-MB) values who were formerly diagnosed with unstable angina or minor myocardial injury are now reclassified as non–ST-segment elevation MI (NSTEMI), even in the absence of diagnostic electrocardiogram (ECG) changes. NSTEMI is a type of a heart attack, if you didn't know about it.

Hello guys.

Look, all that I know about cardiac markers is that they are used in the diagnosis and risk stratification of patients with chest pain and suspected acute coronary syndrome (or ACS shortly). The cardiac troponins, have become the cardiac markers of choice for patients with ACS. Indeed, cardiac troponin is essential for the definition of acute myocardial infarction. Now I am not sure about normal levels of cardiac markers, so I won’t tell a lot about this. I can ask my mom because she done them a few years ago. But somehow I think that Adria 18 has a point.

Good day. My good friend did this cardiac markers and she was telling me something about cardiac troponin.  It looks like that this protein is by far the most commonly used biomarker, and this will tell you the doctor as well. It has the highest known sensitivity and it enters into your bloodstream soon after you are having a heart attack. It also stays in your bloodstream for a days after all other biomarkers go back to normal levels. Current guidelines from the American Heart Association say this is the best biomarker for finding a heart attack. The AHA says to limit use of the other biomarkers. These include CK, CK-MB, and myoglobin.

I just can't talk from my experience because I haven't done those cardiac markers ever, but I think that my friend's mom did it a couple of months ago. I am not even sure what is her diagnose so I can't tell you why she was doing it. But I do know that are more than 5 of them, maybe one or two more, which means that there no are so many of those markers like some of the people believe. Like you probably already know, troponin should be aroung 0 to 0,1 ng/ml. Some experts will tell you that it can be from 0 to 0,2 as well, but I believe that it is better to keep it under 0,1 ng/ml, right? About some other levels of cardiac markers I am not familiar with it.