Hi, I have low level of iron. Among other tests ferritin level test was performed, and I don’t understand it’s function. What is ferritin level indicating?

Ferritin has a role to store iron, and iron is incorporated in hemoglobin of red blood cells. So, level of ferritin indicates amount of iron stored in your body. Normal values are for male: 12-300 ng/ml and for female: 12-150 ng/ml. As women lose blood in menses they are in greater need for iron and have increased absorption of iron. Any inflammatory disorder can raise the level of ferritin. This include alcoholic liver disease, hemolytic anemia, Hodgkin's lymphoma and megaloblastic anemia. Lower-than-normal levels may be due to chronic gastrointestinal bleeding, heavy menstrual bleeding specially if it is excessive every month and iron deficiency anemia.