I have been on contraceptive pills for years. Lately I have been having sensation of fullness or pressure in lower abdomen and painful periods. On my last exam my gynecologist diagnosed fibroid in my uterine. I did transvaginal ultrasound, and they want me to do pelvic laprascopy to see if it’s potentially malignant. I am scared and worried .What are those fibroids in uterine? How is it possible that I got them?

Uterine fibroids are benign tumors of muscle and connective tissue that develop within, or are attached to the uterine wall. The cause of fibroid tumors is unknown. It is suggested that fibroids may enlarge with estrogen therapy, such as oral contraceptives. Fibroid growth seems to depend on regular estrogen stimulation, so as long as a woman with fibroids is menstruating they will probably continue to grow, although growth is usually quite slow. Uterine fibroids are the most common pelvic tumor and they may be present in 15 to 20% of reproductive-age women, and 30 to 40% of women over 30.

I was just diagnosed today with a fibroid tumor in my uterus. I know the feeling when you said that you were a little scared... Me Too!! But after doing research on this & talking to my doc, I feel a bit relieved to know that it's a non-cancer type of tumor. Now I'm trying to find out more about an issue with my uterus lining... That was diagnosed today also. But I really did'nt get the full details, as I am presenty experiencing full blow PMS & major emotion issues that stem from that.... (PMS) ??? Maybe she said that my lining was thick or something to that effect. That combined with the tumor has my periods extremely heavy with major clotting. She was surprised that I'm not an anemic, yet. Any advise??