Hi All,

I had my ultrasound yesterday and the radiologist discovered that my one lump is in actuality a swollen lymph node - 100% benign.
However, on my left breast at aereola he found what he said was a fibroid formation - looked perfectly normal and was usual for my age - 28. As I am now pregnant he told me to expect this to enlarge.
My question is, do these work with hormones? Do they go away over time or do you have to get them removed. Due to the location he said that I was bound to be very uncomfortable over the next 9 months. He also said he wanted to look at it every three months - does this make sense - I was hoping someone could explain it better to me?

Hi there! It is not known what causes fibroadenomas but it is thought that they are related to estrogen levels because they enlarge during pregnancy and they appear in menopausal women who are taking estrogen supplements but they don’t come and go when estrogen levels change throughout a woman’s cycle.

The reason why your doctor ordered a follow up is probably to check-up on its growth. If the fibroid cysts become way too large, painful and uncomfortable, then they are removed. The chances of turning into cancer or forming cancer cells within fibroids are minimal. If you do have a history of breast cancer in your family, this may be a reason your doctor ordered a three-month follow-up but otherwise the check-up is for observing the size.

Sometimes the tumors stop growing and shrink on their own and disappear but it is highly unlikely to happen during pregnancy since they usually enlarge during pregnancy.
The surgery is not needed if doctors determined it was fibroadenoma. The surgery is needed only if the lump starts growing. If the tumor is removed, it is not uncommon that another one may grow.

Thank you for your respose. There is no history of breast cancer in my family. Maybe growth is what shes after. Just saw her today and since I just became pregnant she siad that taking or removing anything is not a great idea until after the baby. Thanks Again.