My mother is diagnosed with interstitial fibroid. I was so surprised, because I was the one with menstrual problems. She seemed to be health all her life and now she has these interstitial fibroids. I have never heard for such a problem, so I do not know what to think. Can you tell me more about interstitial fibroids, what kind of disorder is that?

Interstitial fibroid is the most common position for fibroids, which grow from the uterine muscle fibers. These types of fibroids, called interstitial fibroids, have many different sizes, shapes, hardness and numbers. Uterine fibroids make up most of the uterine growths, which usually occur in middle-aged patient. However, we can see young women in the twenties with huge fibroids in their uterus. It has been estimated some women aged 35 and above, one in five would developed uterine fibroids, no matter which type. Fortunately, many of these fibroids are benign and do not cause any symptoms, so there is, no need for worry. Like most other tumors, the actual cause of uterine fibroids is not known for now. However, we know it appears to be related to the production of female hormones. Fibroids are very rare present in young girls before the start of menstruation, but after the menopause, it is very likely that no new fibroids are formed. That is why I could tell you should not be worried because of your mother’s interstitial fibroid; just make her visit her gynecologist when he says she should.