My son was not circumcised although we wanted to do it. He is now 2 1/2 years old, and the foreskin is still very tight. I have noticed it could not be retracted and it will not go back. I was told not to pull it back when he was a baby, as it would loosen on its own. However, it still did not happen so I would like to hear if that is normal. I want to hear more about this foreskin retraction, how does it work?

You have to know that many moms share your concern because this is common problem. Foreskin retraction occurs when the foreskin can be pulled back away from the glans. This process happens without anyone’s help, and it happens different for every child. It may take a few days, weeks, months, or even years that foreskin retraction occur for the first time. In uncircumcised boys, the foreskin begins firmly attached to the glans, but over time, the attachments are broken. This is done mostly by the stretching resulting from repeated normal erections. In most boys, the foreskin is loose and mobile by age 2, but this normal process can sometimes take five or more years, so I think you should not be worried. Even if you know other boys your son's age whose foreskin is already loose, you can be reassured that your son is completely normal. It is not a reason for concern, and once that foreskin retraction happens, foreskin should retract quite easily. Trying to pull back the foreskin before it is ready is unnecessary and it can lead to pain, scarring and adhesions.

It is common and normal for childhood adhesions not to completely separate to allow full retraction until age 3 - 5 in most, and all but one percent by age 10. I wouldn't worry for at least another year or so, but would become concerned if some progress isn't forthcoming by the time he gets ready to start school.
Charles II

don't circumcise him if you can help it
doctors can provide special cream
my nephew when he was six succesfully avoided circumcision
he had a large glans than normal which made his skin tight
the choice should always be the child's
good luck

hey No circumcisions. many children cannot retract their forskin until they are about 4. there are even a lot who have trouble when they are 14,15,16 years old! it will come with time.

Good question.