I'm 19 years old and my foreskin won't retract on its own, both while flaccid or erect. I never knew it was supposed to. I have had sex before, both with and without a condom, and a few times during sex the foreskin was forced down below the glans. However, it was very painful each time and I thought it wasn't supposed to do that and so I moved it back up. For me it is much more comfortable to have it covering the glans. I've never had any infections or problems with my penis or foreskin either and sex was always ok. I'm still worried about this though, especially after reading that it was supposed to retract, is this a problem I need to consider and have fixed or is it okay that my forskin doesn't retract fully?

Hi James Hendrix:

You are blessed with a full-length foreskin. Many guys would envy your foreskin even though it does not automatically retract. You display great wisdom in wanting to avoid circumcision.

The foreskin is an asset and highly beneficial. A full-length foreskin is more of an asset and more beneficial than a short foreskin. Moreover, the ancient Greeks considered a long, tapering foreskin to be a sign of male beauty. The long tip is called the akroposthion.

There is a lot of mis-information about foreskin retraction. Do not depend on what you see in p*rn videos. The extent to which the head of the erect penis is visible depends on the length of the foreskin.

Long full-length foreskins will not auto-retract on erection. Only inadequate short foreskins will auto-retract. For your skin to go back, the foreskin has to be wide enough to retract over the head.

If your foreskin is wide enough, it will retract if it is shorter than the erect penis. If it is longer, then it will never retract by itself but may be pushed back, however, it may not stay back. Many full-length foreskins glide forward again when released.

When a full-length foreskin is manually retracted, it gathers in folds at the base of the penis. The folds want to unfold and push the foreskin forward back to its normal position. A full-length foreskin is likely to slide/roll forward to recover and protect the glans penis when it is released. Some men simply cannot keep the foreskin retracted. This is not considered to be a problem.

The full-length foreskin provides superior protection to the head of the penis and keeps it soft, smooth, and sensitive.

The full-length foreskin may improve the sexual experience because of its superior gliding action. The full-length foreskin also may have more pleasure nerves.