I am writing this sad tale in the hope that I can prevent it from happening to someone else.

I went to Dr. Eugene A. Coman of Long Island Digestive Disease Consultants because of stomach pain. There were a number of GI doctors in the area and I went to Coman because my stomach was hurting alot and the wait to see him was least. I figured that all specialists were probably the same. Big mistake.

To evaluate the possbility of ulcers he told me I needed a routine endoscopy. After the endoscopy he told me he found no ulcers and concluded that I had gastric reflux disease. As I left the office, I felt - FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER - stomach acid coming up into my mouth.

My stomach pain is long gone, but the reflux problem - clearly caused when the endoscope was forced past my esophageal sphincter - remains 1.3 years later. Although 'controlled' by daily medication and lifestyle changes, reflux is still miserable. I must stop eating before 5 pm and must sleep nearly sitting up to avoid havign the refluxed acid damage tissue in my throat. I have had 16 sore throats since the fateful endoscopy. I will probably have to have surgery to fix my esophageal sphincter.

You can be damned sure I will check out the new gastroenterologist's credentials ahead of time!

What's your personal experience with dealing with gastic reflux? how did you ease the suffering and prevent it from being worse? Based on personal experience.................

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I just had an EUS - endoscopic ultra sound three days ago and noticed twice today that I refluxed, which I've never had before. After the second time I decided to google the problem. I talked to the doctor before and after the procedure and this problem was never mentioned. I pray it is not something I'm going to be dealing with!