I found out that irritable bowel syndrome is characterized by a group of symptoms. I had to learn it since I suffered of some symptoms for IBS. First, I started to have abdominal pain and discomfort. Then it became associated with a change in bowel pattern, such as loose or more frequent bowel movements, and diarrhea. Now I see I need to know more about IBS, so if anyone can help me and tell me something more about IBS.

Irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, is generally classified as functional disorder. A functional disorder refers to a disorder or disease where the primary abnormality is an altered physiological function. That means the way the body works. It happens rather than an identifiable structural or biochemical cause. IBS characterizes a disorder that generally cannot be diagnosed in a traditional way. That is, such as an inflammatory, infectious, or structural abnormality, that can be seen by commonly used examination, x-ray, or blood test. There are some treatment options that are available to manage IBS, depends whether symptoms are mild, moderate, or severe. As a rule, all possible physical, structural, and infectious abnormalities of the GI tract need to be unquestionably eliminated before you are diagnosed with IBS. These tests require a physical examination, preferably by a board-certified gastroenterologist. The medical tests needed to rule out disorders other than IBS will depend upon your age, health history, family health background, and some specific symptoms you reported.