What is usual treatment for erythema nodosum? My wife’s doctor ordered tests, such as x-rays, blood cultures, and biopsy, to rule out an infection or other disease or condition. I am worried about her. So, if anyone has it or has been treated and would like to share experience will be great. Thanks

Erythema nodosum tends to resolve on its own, so there is usually no specific treatment given. Treatment is usually only needed to alleviate the pain caused by the lesions, such as cool compresses, leg elevation, and rest. Limiting activity is recommended and Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs may also be helpful in providing pain relief, but they should be used with caution.

I have erythema nodosum every year and its very painful and i can barely walk with it! The doctors or specialists seem to have no idea why this keeps reoccuring and whats causing it! Anyone have a similar case to me or any ideas why its happening.

I first experienced Erythema Nodosum about 15 years ago after going on the pill. It came back a few years later after I changed my multi vitamin to one formulated specifically for women. I am now 3 months pregnant and it's back. The cause is an imbalance of hormones. In the past, it was matter of stop taking the pill. I'm afraid to see how this manifests thoughout my pregnancy. My doctors says there is nothing that can be done during pregnancy.

To meet with others who have Erythema Nodosum please join our group of nearly 1500 members at our EN Group site:

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/erythema_nodosum_Group
We have lots of info there for you.
Best regards,
Rebecca
founder/moderator of the EN Group
idiopathic EN since '68

Ive had Erythema Nodosum, since 2003, its a real nightmare.

They are still doing tests at the hospital, which ive been under since last
year now, they think that it may be idiopathic. But, some days i cant even
go out, cos im too weak.

at the moment, my foot has swollen up so much that, i couldnt get my
shoe on.

And the painkillers dont work much, and im taking 1800mg of ibrophen. a day.

I would rather go through child birth again, then have this.

My daughter had been suffering with very painful lumps on her legs for about two years.. They would come and go, start out as raised red lumps that eventually turned into like a bruise. Extremely painful, could not touch them. I took her to a GP, Blood specialist, Physician and no one could tell me what it was. I took her to a dermatologist this year to be put on Roacutane for very bad acne. The dermatologist took one look at the lumps and diagnosed Erythema Nodosum (Punniculitis). He was very surprised that none of the other medical specialists had referred her to a dermatologist. He said there was not much one could do, except to give her anti inflammatorys for the pain etc, but he had had a lot of good results with Potassium Iodide. This is in liquid form and you take 5mls 3xper day. I had a problem obtaining it, as a lot chemists did not even know what I was talking about! The dermatologist finally referred me to a pharmacist who made up this special concoction at a very reasonable price. After taking the Potassium Iodide for 4 weeks she suddenly had a very positive result and the lumps starting disappearing! It has been two months now, and she has not had one recurrance so far, touch wood. The doctor did say it helps about 70% of patients, and in some patients it never recurs! Good luck!

Has anyone else possibly been exposed to any forms of mold just prior to an inflamation? I ask because I lived in an apartment that had a mold problem and about 6 months after I moved in is when I started getting this. Then I was out of the apartment and fine. I've just moved to Wisconsin and into a house where the basement flooded two months ago, and now suddenly, I have the first outbreak in over two years. The doctors say no, but I tend to think that there are no case studies to include potential mold exposure.

I have had multiple bouts of EN for the past 14 years. You're right it is truely unpleasant. During one episode two years ago, I had nodules on my stomach and arms. By the way, it was summer. It's not so bad when you can cover your legs, but long pants and long sleeves in 90 degree weather, I think not. I also have a genetic disorder that prevents me from taking NSAIDS. Even if a MD doesn't want to prescribe it, PREDNISONE WORKS. You have to take pretty high doses (30-40mg) for about two weeks for the nodules to fully receede, but I think that is a lot better than the 6-12 weeks of misery that I normally endure.
The cautionary note to this is, make sure you do not have an underlying infection prior to starting this course of action. It will make you immunosuppressed. Also the side effects of steriods can be unpleasant. I prefer two weeks to the unkown length of the EN bout.
This is just a consideration for those of you who have tried other treatments without success. By the way, i was refered to a Rheumatologist who knew what he was looking at immediately. Some MD's think that idiopathic EN is an autoimmune disorder.

Hi there, funny you should mention this but i have v bad mould and damp in my house and after i attempted to clean some mould off the wall i came down with erythema nodosum about 1-2 weeks later. I am convinced also that the mould could be a contributory factor, wish this could be proved though :-(

I have recently been diagnosed with EN. I am pregnant and have been told I can take Tylenol for the pain. I have excruciating pain in my ankle. I have also had some pain in my wrist and knees. I have read the joint pain can last up to 6 months. Has anyone experienced such long term effects?

I was diagnosed with EN when I was pregnant with my second child. During my fourth month I had some uncomfortable lesions on my legs, but from the 6th month forward, I had terrible joint pain. The joint pain lasted about 3 months and then resolved itself about 2 weeks before I delivered. I'm wondering how likely it is that I would experience EN again with another pregnancy.

My son had a biopsy today on his shin on these bumps everyone is talking about. He is 12 and in an incredible amount of pain. I have him elevating his legs and have them iced. He had to have 2 stitches after it was all said and done. He has has recent medical problems read about him at www.caringbridge.org/visit/zacharyathompson. They have him on 800 mg of ibuprofen daily. Is there anything else I can do for him?

I have Erythema nodosum, as I write this.. My last break out was 30 years ago..Now it has come back with a vengence. So very painful..
My doctors say not much they can do.. Take Motroin... Aloha

I am 35 y.o and in my third month of my first pregnancy. The red sensitive lumps started to appear three days ago on my arms and they are multiplying on my legs too. On the second day, my joints, especially the wrists, started to hurt. For two days now my Parotid Glands are swollen - so much that it hurts, especially at night. I haven't been going to the office for two days and tried to work from home. I have had fever. My OB and my Dermatologist told me yesterday to take Tylenol - and that is it - until the biopsy results come out next week. I am determined to not take anything to not affect the baby, but this means that I probably have to stop to work or work from home because my face is deformed and it is painful to move around - especially because yesterday my knees start to hurt. By researching on the Internet, I see that one of the causes is pregnancy and that the symptoms may disappear in 3 to 6 weeks if the conditions are removed.. but what happens when you are in the beginning of your pregnancy? Is it going to be with me for the remaining 7 months? By reading the testimonials here, I just told my husband to completely disinfect the bathroom, which has had some mold on corners of the shower curtain for the last week. What a bummer!!!! I only hope that this doesn't affect the baby! I also hope that s/he doesn't manifest it in his/her life too because I am having it now. OMG. Any thoughts about my case? (Besides the need for prayers) :-D