MY PROBLEM STARTED ABOUT A LITTLE OVER A MONTH AGO. IT FIRST STARTED AFTER I HAD ATE PIZZA ONE NIGHT AND GOT SICK AFTERWARDS. SO I HAD TO THROW UP, AFTER I DID I HAD THIS STRANGE TINGLING, WOOSHING, LIKE WATER RUNNING IN MY HEAD FEELING ON THE SIDES OF MY HEAD NEAR MY EYES. I THREW MY HEAD BACK TO MAKE IT STOP AND THAT ONLY MADE THE WHOLE ROOM FEEL LIKE IT WAS MOVING, I FELT LIKE THE GROUND WASNT UNDER ME . SOON AFTER I SAT DOWN I COULDNT BREATH, I FELT LIKE I WAS CHOKING, MY CHEST AND NECK WENT NUMB, THEN MY FACE , NECK, HEAD WERE ALL TINGLING, MY LEGS AND ARMS GOT REALLY HEAVY I FELT LIKE I WAS HAVING A HEART ATTACK. I WENT TO THE ER AND THEY SAID I HAD A PANIC ATTACK. 2 HOURS AFTER LEAVING THE SYMPTOMS HAPPENED AGAIN FOR NO REASON. I WENT BACK TO ER AND THEY SAID THE SAME THING NO TESTS WERE DONE. SO I WENT HOME AND EVERYDAY AFTER THAT 24 HOURS A DAY I FEEL LIKE I AM CHOKING, I HAVE  shortness of breath, CHEST PAIN, UPPER BACK PAIN, I AM ALWAYS DIZZY, LIGHT HEADED, TIRED, WAKE UP GASPING FOR AIR, I ALWAYS FEEL LIKE MY HEART IS GOING TO STOP, MY BLOOD PRESSURE GETS LOW. I WENT BACK TO THE ER AND THEY DID AN EKG AND CHEST X-RAY AND SAID IT WAS NORMAL. RECENTLY I HAVE BEEN HAVING VERY BAD HEADACHS. THE DIZZINESS HAS GOT WORSE I FEEL LIKE I AM GOING TO PASS OUT I CAN NOT FUNCTION NORMAL ANYMORE I NEED SOMEONE TO HELP ME . I HAVE A 1 YEAR OLD SON AND I CAN NOT PLAY WITH HIM OR TAKE CARE OF HIM LIKE I USE TO ,I CANT BE THERE FOR MY HUSBAN I AM ALWAYS TIRED AND ITS MAKING ME VERY IRRIATABLE. I HAVE NOTHING IN MY LIFE TO MAKE ME HAVE PANIC ATTACKS AND I CAN NOT BE PANICING 24 HOURS A DAY THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE OR SOMEWHERE I CAN GO TO FIGURE OUT WHATS WRONG WITH ME .

These symptoms also happened to my Ex Husband. He was recently diagnosed with MS and this was what they called an exaserbation/relapse. You may request an MRI to look for lesions on your brain. Best of luck to you.

Hi nez1981, hope you are feeling better, it does sound like panic attacks I have been living with tose symptoms for 6 years, you learn to control most of them with time. Stress is a major factor to this. Your son adding responsibilty on you could bring it on. try to keep your mind occupied by doing physical things .
Relaxing and taking it easy makes it worse as you more time to think about how you are feeling try not think about yourself and occupy your mind with anything physical even something simple like gardening if possible.
Yoga meditation helps, so does exercise. try stay away from anti-depressents. Remember panic attacks cant kill you.
The dizziness and some of the other symptoms are caused by you tensing your shoulder/neck muscles for too long.
There is no cure just believe you will be ok and now you are not alone in this many people suffer from this and look to God for Strength.

I suffer from the same thing, I had some hard choices to make in my life and everyday i would spaze out for no reasson. Not thinking about anything just relaxing then wham heart racing, breathing heavy numbness in hands and feet and sometimes my face.

For sure I thought heart attacks which made my attacks worse
My doctor told me if i was having some many heart attacks i would be dead.....

Second he said the numbness is from breating to fast....

I cant tell you how misrable this makes me, my doc also said it could be a combination or stress and depresion, i was depressed befor, but dont take those kinda meds anymore now i take an adavan if i spaz out

The one thing i cant figure out is waking up at night brethless, like someone was choking me full of anxiety. Perhaps il try the ssri's again, anyways im n doc but for sure your having a panic attack. hope this help.... try to lots of reading up on the issue
cheers

that's a tough one. I have a similar problem. I find if I search hard enough I could find some syndrome to fit my symptoms so I try and just deal with the symptoms of the problem. If you're like me you aren't panicking until you have an unusual or disturbing sensation so the term panic doesn't explain what is causing you to panic. I found a book called hope and help for your nerves very helpful. It's by claire weekes. I actualy found out about it on a similar forum. I used to be in a state like you described 1/2 the day after my daughter was born. I took paxil and it made it worse. Then I came off it which was really hard. Then i was using the suggestions in the book and finaly I can say I have a real attack like once every 5 Months. I expect I'll get even better. I may have some deep seeded problem like mitral valve prolapse syndrome or something chronic and deadly but so far no one had found much except minor mitral valve prolapse, nothing in terms of a syndrome. Truthfuly the medical community is not much more advanced then it was during the days giving out snake oil when it comes to these
types of prblems and they probably won't be in my lifetime, so if there' a something they're mssing I certainly won't find it so I may as well keep up my health the best i can and hope the odds are In My favor of a long healthy life on spite of my panic. If we still lived in the jungle being chased by tigers and such my quick adrenalin would probably come in handy but now it's just a nucance at best.
I hope you get this book and find some peace and don't worry your son is just happy to be in your company, that's all he needs.
Best of luck and god bless.

I am awaken at night gasping for air. The first time it scared me now I am just like oH NO NOT AGAIN! I just called the dr and I am going to see him Monday. I take in such deep breaths that after I catch my breath I belch and have such an acid taste and burning sensation in my chest. It is getting to the point I do not even want to go to sleep at night.

wow i cant believe i have just read urec omment(top of the page) i 2 feel exactly the same. i was just sat in the living room and a big rush just came through my body i really thought i was going to die! i went to hospital and they told me it was panic attacks and anxiety i am now on anti-depressants for it but only been taking them for few days. i wake up on a morning feeling sick light headed feeling faint and when i am up i dont feel like im supposed to be there its really wierd its like im not normal. i also have a 1 year old son and a fiance and want to spend time with them properly i keep feeling like i am pushing them out i need help badly because it will soon be christmas can anyone help!!:(

2 nights ago i had the exact thing happen...i was laying on my back on the couch with my head proped up since i suffer from really bad gastro-reflux because of being 4 mos pregnant and i was kinda woke up slightly by either a warning from my brain or something else telling me if i didnt wake up i was going to die. I shot straight up and gasped for breath, feeling terribly lightheaded to the point i thought i was going pass out, my heart was beating so fast i felt like i had just run a marathon. I started to cough to catch my breath and my heart started to slow down. I had the exact same thing happen the next afternoon while taking a nap. I am now terrified to go to sleep.

I think it's either sleep apnea or really horrid anxiety attacks that are hitting me in my sleep. I have a doctors appointment on monday and really don't know what questions i should be asking. If anyone could help that would be great.

I have experienced what a lot of people on this board have. I have awaken gasping for air but it only happens maybe twice a month. What does that mean (it is not sleep apnea; and the sleep study confirmed that) I went to the ER after having an attack like that and I was pale in the face. They ran tests (EKG, chest x-ray, blood work) and all was normal. I received no treatment and I felt better after about 2 hours laying there and they told me it was for no apparent reason. They refered me to my cardio. dr. and he put me on a 30 days monitor. I wake up out of breath with a lump in my back (not my chest) and breathing gets harder. I have asthma and they say my lungs are clear (they ordered a chest CT which was clear) and my peak flow numbers are off the chart good! Yet I still experience these problem shortness of breath, lumps in my back that come and go through the day. I don't feel anxious, depressed, or that nervous but none the less I can't take my mind off of it. However, the last time it happened I called my brother and he came over and we talked amazingly as we talked I felt better. Neddless to say the doctors still look for a problem and have schuduled a echo. of my heart b/c as a child i had non life threatening heart problems. All my other tests are clear. I am positive although I don't feel it that I have anxiety and plan to do see a counsler and it has helped just to open to people about the fact that I feel anxious. We are all bound to be anxious when Dr. are poking around us and every now and then make weird moments like "Is this correct?" Hang in there, try to keep yourself occupied and when you feel an attack coming on find anyone to talk to even come on here and just write about your problem it helps to get it out. Dr.s unfortunately don't treat the whole person but typically just treat specifics. They will give you a drug to make breathing better but really that steroid is just making you exhausted so you eventually relax. If you have faith in Christ or not try picking up a Bible and reading 1 Corinthians 1 and you will see that forever people have suffered depression and anxiety but there is help out there.

I am certianly glad I found this forum. I just woke up too with then same type of symptoms. I have felt this way a number of times over the past several years, but it seems like it is happening more often. Every time it happens, after the initial shock of just breath and calm down...I get worrried that I am going to die. Then I start to think about leaving my wife and family behind and then my head starts to race. It only happens to me at night.

The first time experiencing this episode, I called 9-11 thinking it was the end. Went through all the tests like the others have mentioned and the result was panic attack by the doctors in ER.

As I am writing this now, I am seeming to calm down a bit from this night's episode. I do know that this is getting old already. I can not fathom going through this forever, or at least for the next -- years.

Again, I am glad that I found this forum. Plus, it seems like the folks here were genuine about their feelings and concerns. You never know what you're going to read with all of the nuts out there.

I wish everyone peace with this condition. If you have read this thread, keep it going. It just may help to sooth another person's episode.

Hello everyone, I am here to say that I am going through alot of these same things you are. I wake up gasping for air somenights and on others I feel as if I can't breathe and heaviness in my chest and nothing seems to start it. It has scared me so much I think that I might not wake up in the morning once I go to sleep. I stay up for as long as I can untill I'm so tired I end up falling asleep some how. I just don't know what to think about any of this. It started about 3 months ago with my throat feeling numb and tight and like I wasn't getting enough air or something. Then it went to headaches, backaches, dizziness, fatigue, low blood pressure, and very slow pulse and irregular heart beat. I went to my regular doctor so many times and all my test have been ok. I went to the ER once so far (even though I feel like going alomost everynight) I thought I was having a heart attack or something I just got like a really bad heaviness in my chest and so dizzy I thought I was going to pass out, I felt like I had to keep taking deep breathes. I just knew it was going to be really bad, but all my test were fine. I dont know but I think my doctor is starting to think I'm crazy , I think she's not running the right tests on me to find out what is wrong with me. I feel so bad everyday, I don't even know what to do next, I just feel if I dont find out whats wrong with me soon I'm just going to lose it. The thing that bothers me most is that 3 months ago I wasn't having any of these problems. I have been reading about these symptoms and I get alot of thyroid or hormones problems. Does anyone have any of these problems and have actually figured out what it is besides anxiety? Now I live everyday wondering if I be here the next and wondering what kind of health problems do I have. I'm 31 yrs of age and have had no health problems in the past. Thank you and I hope everyone of you find answers you are looking for. This is no way to live life everyday.

:O THE SAME THING!!...Its crazy because I keep looking for lexapro side affects and it never says that I will shoot up and sit up gasping for air from DEAD SLEEP!! Even when I am sleep I have that urge to wake up like im going to die! I know my heart is slowing and my blood pressure is getting low...it works great after two to three weeks then this...so I don't know whether I should take it or not!! I don't want to die because thats what it really feels like...your body knows whats up MOST of the time and I'm not about to die! SORRY!

I can't believe what I'm reading. I just came home from the hospital a short while ago after spending 12 hours in Clinical Evaluation. At 4:30 this morning, I woke up gasping for air. I got up and started walking to the bathroom trying to figure out what was wrong and I became warm inside, light headed, my body was tingling and my heart was pounding out of my chest. I also felt like my throat was closing. I ran to the phone and called 911. I swore I was going to die!!!! It was the worst experience ever!!!! After a CT Scan of the chest, multiple blood tests, a pregnancy test, EKG monitoring for the entire 12 hours (all vitals too) and a Stress Test, I was released without any diagnosis, just being told that everything was normal and to see my MD in 3-5 days. I'm scared to go to sleep now because I don't ever want to feel that again!!!!! I thought maybe it was a bad reaction to a new antibiotic that I just started taking for an ear infection, but I've taken meds in that drug class before several times without any reaction. I didn't have hives or itching so they ruled that out. It's 11:19 pm and I know I must sleep, God, please keep me alive for my kids!!!! Good luck to all the other sufferers!!!!

zanix perscription, will help you feel ok

Did you ever figure out what is wrong with you? I am suffering the same thing right now and actually nervous about going to sleep. I warned my wife to keep an eye on me. I am yawing real hard to get my lungs filled. I wake up in a panic gasping for air. My chest is heavy and my throat feels wierd. For me this has been going on just two days but I am freaked out.

Larry