I HAVE BEEN OFF ACCUTANE FOR ALMOST 3 MONTHS NOW. IS IT SAFE TO STOP TAKING MY BIRTHCONTROL. THE DOC SAID TO WAIT ATLEAST 3 MONTHS, THE PERSCRIPTION SAYS ONE MONTH, SO IF I STOP AND WAS TO BCOME PREGNANT, IS THIS OKAY?

I was on a 5-month treatment of accutane. Six months after my completion, I was pregnant. I check with the doctors if the pregnancy will be safe to carry and I was told it was good to go. 37 weeks into it, without any issues and then all of a sudden my baby's heart rate was critical and I was rushed to an emergency C-section. Within a few hours I was told my baby has a severe heart defect. After months of hospitalization and open heart surgery at LPCH, Stanford, they discovered he also have malrotation of the bowels and severe lung defects. After the 2nd surgery, my baby did not make it and passed away at 4 months.

I truly believed that it was accutane that stay in my system that cuased my baby's severe adnormalities. So if you were on the treatment I strongly advise that your system more to time to detox. I hope this email helps and bring awareness to everyone. Good Luck!

In Memories of Nicolas Ryder Almazan July 23,2010 - December 5, 2010.

my God...im so sad to hear that actually im planning to take accutane now but i begun to feel scared after hearing your situation...thank you for sharing that... condolence...