Hi all. I’ve been on accutane for a while now. My friend has his birthday party in few days and we plan to drink. So, I checked warning on the box regarding alcohol and accutane and found nothing. I’ve also consulted my doctor who said that it's ok to drink – just not to overdrink. Is this true? What do you thing, is it safe to drink (not too much, of course) while on accutane?? Please respond asap!! Thanks.

I had bad experience with drinking while on accutane. I was drinking while on accutane and became entoxicated. I had been drinking before and I drank just as much when I was on accutane and I experienced severe side effects - I passed out more than once, had several seizures, got sick, experienced cold flashes… What’s even worse, I can’t remember half of those things!! I think that no matter what the box and your doc says, that it is very dangerous. I don’t know weather this happened to me because I really got drunk, but I would not recommend you to test it. Good luck and happy birthday to your friend.

I've been on accutane for about 2 weeks and a half. I began seeing gradual results. Well my birthday just passed a few days ago and i turned 21. Of course I went out drinking and got wasted, threw up that night and the next morning. I stopped taking accutane for 3 sessions cause i thought my body needed a break. Well couple days later i started back on everything was normal and i started to see more breakouts then i had then when i first started on accutane. I don't know if this is because of the alcohol or not but I'm not willing to take anymore chances. I've read about people have breakouts while drinking on isotretinoin aka accutane.
My advice would be to give it a try and if you get any side effects like breaking out more or severe headaches cut back on drinking.

I've researched this extensively since I am a college student who drinks heavily on weekends. Anyway I have been on it about two months. The first month, I did not drink it all and my face got worse. This is because accutane first gets worse before getting better (I was on this before in 9th grade and the same thing happened). After the first month I began drinking reularly again and the only thing is I have a lot more hangovers, thats about it. Oh, I also get drunk faster which is a little strange.

the reason you get drunk faster is because accutane tends to thin your blood. It acts like beta blockers and essentially lowers ur tolerance

I would not suggest that while on accutane you drink at all. I am not a drinker, but I took 1 shot and was so extoxicated i couldn't even believe it. I called my doctor and she said just don get drunk, but if you can handle 6 beers then u should drink 1 while on accutane.

I have been on Accutane 3 separate times and have never had a problem drinking with it. If you read the little pamphlet that comes with the meds it says to AVOID DRINKING EXCESSIVELY because it may affect the kidneys. I do not feel like I am less tolerant than when I am not on it and I also do not get breakouts after drinking.

ive only been on tane for just a little over two weeks.

i cant realy say anything about the breaking out after drinking cuz i am in my initial breakout stage.

but the first day i started i drank then drank again three days later. then partied the whol weekend two a day later. and now its this weekend and i partied last night and going to tonight.

it seems like a lot to a lot of people but this is pretty normal to me. (college student) but i havnt noticed anything.

i am sure i am hurting myself but these parties are for events not just house partying or binge drinking - but i will say that i do get drunk - just not on purpose hahah - and my alcohol consuming is just the same - i havnt felt like ive gotten drunk faster.

but once again i have only been on it for two weeks...

ive been on 30mg accutane daily dose and i stil am, ive also been drinking quite a lot and quite often, i use milk thisle and other liver support pills to try and counteract the effects of roaccutane and alcohol on my liver, and i seem to get away with it but ive realised now that theres still a risk of damaging the liver, espeacially when u place lots of stress on your liver while its still recovering from a previous ''beating''
....this can lead to permanent liver damage and liver diseases.
we all make stupid mistakes time after time, try and wait for the good times here, get your skin clear and good, and hav a f<#kn great time..

I have been on accutance for nearly a month 20mg will move on to 40mg this weekend. Since I have been on accutane I have been drinking at least once a week if not twice.
I am also drinking the same amount I used to when I was not on accutance (approx 3 double vodka/diet coke, 3 singles)

While drinking on accutane..I no longer get a hang over and I don't seem to get any more drunk than I used too!

Now my Derm said I can drink and just to be sensible....but reading all these reviews about how you shouldn't drink etc, I have become very paranoid and am checking if my skin looks yellow, eye whites look yellow. so to be on the safe side I will cut down more as before I was on accutane when ever I drank it did aggravate my skin...however it doesnt seem to now.

I think if you are going to be drinking then just be careful, and request for a blood test to check all okay.

i too drank on acctuane and it will never happen again. I noticed several people acknowledging the higher impact of accutane. I drank about 7 drinks in 4 hours, mostly tequila... I usually have that and jegar bombs and a few caronas on the weekends from time to time. Well I had a horrible black out where apparently many things occured and I was active and seemingly very responsive. I dont remember a thing for about 4-6 hours. I have spent weeks trying to put things together and just can't. I DO NOT recommend that anyone mix alcohol with accutane. I also noticed that what I did remember about that evening is quickly becoming questionable as well, as in I am not sure if I remember that or it I am filling in the blanks. Dont Mix.

I have been on accutane for 4 months now. I still drink not loads and loads though. But I have found that, I tend to get very sick not at the time of drinking but i waking up during the nite after drinking and tend to vomit. I also found i had difficulty sleep after drinking. But watch out cuz my blood pressure rises very high caused by the drinking and i have always had low blood pressure (friend of mine had the same problem), i also tend to find my pulse races when i drink dont know why that is though. I NEVER experienced any of this before been on accutane %-)

hi ive been on roaccutane now 4 nearly 4 months.at the start i was anxious about drinking,but i carried on,and honestly havnt noticed much of a difference!!usually go out once a week and "binge" drink ,being totally honest o.O !!!!!!!ive had my bloods checked a few times and am content that my liver function is ok!!i think you should be aware that drink is obviously a depressant,therefore that is a big issue bein on this med!!and the fact you could get pregnant also down to drink is another major factor!!!everyone has different opinions and experiences on this medication,but thankfully dry lips and slightly drier skin have been my only side effects :-D hav another 2 months left,but noticing great improvement!!!!!gud luck x

hi everyone. I am 23 years old and am just starting to take accutane, actually starting it today. I'm not really a big drinker, but when I go out to like a bar or a club or whatever, I do like to have something in my hand. My doctor said "no alcohol" and I didn't ask him why not, I just figured that it would most likely to excessive damage to my liver. I've read what you guys have been saying, and it seems like the consensus is that you can drink, but have like... 1, 2 drinks at most.. and try to keep it to maybe like twice a month if you wanna just go out and have a good time. is this agreeable to most?
thanks
-steph

I've been taking 20mg per day for 3 months. My dermatologist said I could have a beer or a cocktail, once a week. Last night I had 3 cocktails, and I got intoxicated. My doctor had applied ATA (tricloroacetic acid) at 90% to get rid of several acne scars, my skin had healed very well and everything was going well, but last night after the cocktails, I felt so sick I threw up, and once I did, all the points where my doctor had applied ATA (about 20 of them all over my face) become a vibrant red color, just as if they had never healed. I strongly recommend taking more than 2 beers or 1 cocktails per week. I used to be a regular drinker, I weigh 103 kg and have a high tolerance to alcohol. This was what 3 cocktails did to me, so my suggestion is staying away from booze.