I wonder if accutane could be related to seborrheic dermatitis for my son suffers for years now from severe form of acne. He was on minocin for years but have heard that accutane might clean his skin totally and has started with accutane but lately his scalp area and eyebrow area is covered by seborrhea. I think it has something to do with accutane so my question is could accutane be related to seborrheic dermatitis.

Well I don’t know if accutane might cause the development of sebborheic dermatitis but on the second thought it is more than possible that your son have earned the sebprrheic dermatitis due to accutane use for I know that accutane may make the skin so dry than in some cases it is a good base for developing severe forms of dandruff. But also for he has acne he must be having oily skin and the condition is usually worse during summer period. Anyway the best seborrheic dermatitis is frequent hygiene that usually consists of using soap in removing oils from affected area and it is recommended to avoid sun exposure and outdoor activities. And as for the accutane I would never use it for his serious side effects and I think minocin is good enough in treating the acne and a s for the seborrheic dermatitis your son might try with some so called antifungal preparations such as azole agents, sodium sulfacetamide and topical terbinafine though studies shows that accutane also could be of help here but it is strongly recommended that accutane should be used as prescribed and under the frequent medical control.

I also had bad acne when i was a freshman in high school. I took accutane and it got rid of my acne but while i was taking it i started noticing that my nose was always red, dry and oily. My doctor said that I had sebborheic dermatitis and here i am a senior in high school still trying to get rid of it.

I started on accutane in 1997 and it cleared my skin of the acne I was suffering from. Now I'm 28 years old and I have moderate seborrheic dermatitis on my face. It started when I was approximately 19 and has cleared for periods of up to a year and has recently gotten worse than ever. I think accutane may have made my skin more prone to this condition. Accutane changed my skin so severely while I was on it, I'm sure that it couldn't have any positive effect other than clearing the acne. I saw my younger brother toward the end of an accutane treatment 2 or 3 years ago and his lips were chapped so badly that it was cracking an inch above an below his mouth. I had a similar experience on accutane. I don't recommend accutane to anyone, it's too extreme. It's better to work on diet and stay away from greasy restaurants while in teenage years or take the anti-biotic acne treatment. I believe dermatitis is a side effect and dermatitis is an incurable disease that requires constant work to find effective treatments, then once one is found, one's body builds a tolerance over time and another type is needed.

Hope this helps any teenagers/parent thinking of accutane treatments.

Actually roaccutane is supposed to help very much with the seborrhea. After all seborrheic dermatitis is a skin condition where your oil glands produce farm more sebum, and your skin sheds too fast. Roaccutane actually helps normalize both sebum production and keratinization.

Most people with acne may also have seborrhea later in life, they are basically due to the same factors i.e. greasy skin and shedding skin. The only difference is that acne generally begins in your adolescent years while seborrhea doesn't usually start until you are well into your twenties or thirties.

Therefore it may seem as though you got seborrhea years after stopping accutane, but believe me, that is because your sebum production is out of control again after stopping the drug.

Many people think seborrheic dermatitis means your skin is dry since you get flaky scalp, eyebrows, cheeks etc. In reality dry skin and seborrhea are two different conditions due to different causes. As I've mentioned, seborrhea is due to too much oil production.

My recommendation is buying a shampoo containing coal tar (e.g. Neutrogena's T range), selenium sulfide (Selsun or Selsun Blue) or ketoconazole (Nizoral). It should be left in on the scalp, face or any part of the body so affected for 5 minutes, then rinsed off. Doing this daily will help get rid of the seborrhea. Once that's out of the way, continue to use it once or twice a week to prevent it from recurring. However you will still have to live with the oily skin.

There are oral medications that are used "off label" to treat severe seborrhea. One of them is roaccutane. Used in low doses e.g. 10 mg/day, it will regulate sebum production without as many side effects as going on a full dosage ( usually 0.5 mg - 1 mg/kg/day).

Hope that helps.

I was on Accutane back in about 2001. During the process I had the ol' cracked lips too, and the skin was extremely sensitive. Shortly after that treatment, I developed a condition which was later diagnosed as Seborrheic Dermatitis and also experienced abit of hair loss.

I personally wouldn't recommend Accutane to anyone because (a) its an extremely powerful drug and (b) what I've experienced is abit too coincidental for my liking!

I was on accutane for 6 months and just recently developed seborrhoeic dermatitis on my scalp. the reason I am wondering if the two are connected is because seborrhoeic dermatitis is caused by excessive vitamin A intake in children. That is exactly what accutane is, vitamin A and I was on accutane when I was 18 (not exactly a "child," not exactly an adult either). But I'm 19 now and have seborrhoeic dermatitis, a condition I never had before, I never even have had dandruff before (not that they are related, just that I've never had problems with my scalp). Now, how are those two not POSSIBLY related?
hmmmm :/

I have had oily skin since puberty, and it got much worse in high school.  At age 25, I was prescribed a small dose (5mg a week, I think) of accutane and it definitely helped control my sebum production.  However, about 6 months later I developed seborrheic dermatitis, starting in two small dime size patches on both sides of my nose.  I am now 39 and have seborrheic dermatitis that flares up on various areas of my skin.

I never developed a positive relationship between accutane and seborrheic dermatitis, however, I think there is a strong correlation.  I have seen the same thing happen to friends, and the one common is the use of accutane.

I wouldn't be so hasty accusing Accutane (or some other Isotretinoin drug) for causing Seborrheic Dermatitis. Someone already wrote, that acne and SD are related.

I came here, because I'm thinking about trying a low-dose Isoretinoin treatment for my SD. I had acne when I was younger, and when I was coming to my thirties, developed SD. I haven't been treated with Isoretinoin.

You should, however think carefully before starting Isoretinoin treatment, especially high-dose acne treatment. It is definitely wery powerful treatment, an may have serious side effects.

(English isn't my native, just in case I wrote something weird)

Glad I found this post... I also took 'R' for 6-12 months from the age of 26 to 27 for acne. I had the classic side effects whilst using it (dry lips, dry scalp etc), but I figured it was worth the struggle as the results were good.
Now, as a 31 year old female I am wondering what I have gotten myself into! I have spent the last 2 years in and out clinic's (GP & Dermatologists) getting tested and examined for a myriad of things ranging from 'hypothyroidism to testosterone imbalance - as possible causes for my chronic dermatitis (scalp). It was very strange as I'd only had two or three prior isolated incidents of dandruff in my entire life. 

I am otherwise fit, healthy, and emotionally happy, with no family history of such scalp skin conditions. I inherited by bad skin from my Mum who is now in her 50's and still gets the odd patch of acne........... yet she has never had any scalp issues??
It seems as though I have traded one bad skin condition for a worse alternative - not something I would have done in hindsight.

Hey I took acutane back in 1999 and used to take it alot to remove my acne now years later i got seborhia as well its crazy and i think acutane did cause it

I took accutane at the age of 17 for 6 months. 6mnths later I had severe seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp which slowly spread to my face especially around my mouth and nose. I think it's so ironic that I took accutane to help a skin condition but in the end accutane completely ruined my skin by permanently drying it out. Please don't take accutane. Not worth it!!

As mentioned, Accutane shrinks up the oil glands and thus less sebum and more dry skin. However, if you stop the Accutane the oily condition that caused acne later can return in a different form. I have suffered from seb derm, rosacea, peri-oral dermatitis and had hair loss and the only thing that helped was antiandrogens (only given to women as they may cause a man to develop breasts). The antiandrogens blocked the testosterone that caused the oiliness and then the seb derm gets better. I did have to be on prednisone for a 2 year period and it was a blessing and a curse as it stopped all oil and I looked and felt great. However, it makes you develop fat patches in your neck and trunk and it eats your bones, so it is not a good thing to use. I am now 53 and I am dealing with seb derm and rosacea right now and it isn't fun. Accutane doesn't cause seb derm period, but it develops later in life because you have faulty oil glands and ultra sensitive skin. Best wishes to all, the entire oil gland issues are a pain in the buttocks and they last for life. Enjoy the good days and phases and live through the bad ones!

Thank you for providing a very succinct and informative explanation... it seemed instantly correct as soon as I'd read it! I am going to ask about some CMRT therapy from my Chiro to see if he can halt the testosterone over-stimulation (for want of a better term) to hopefully achieve the same result as the antiandrogen therapy
.

I am here because I did a search on this very topic. I am a male whose skin was good until my early 20's then acne all of my face. It was severe and three derms tried everything until finally I was put on Accutane and my skin cleared.

Now, I'm in my mid-40's and about a year ago I started to get an odd breakout on my forehead. I thought it was a form of acne. No, its sebborheic dermatitis. We had been treating it with Protopic very successfully until a couple months ago. Its now around my scalp, sides of my nose, etc. I can bring it under control with other creams but if I even skip a day I start to breakout again.

I'm headed back to my derm. I wondered if a return to Accutane could clear my skin. I now wonder if my USE of Accutane when I was younger has lead to this condition. I never had dermatitis and I can't begin to tell you how "terrific" it is after finally winning the acne war to be this age and fighting a new foe on my face. Can my skin stay clear finally please?!