My 15 year old son has had a mono like virus (at least that is the diagnosis) for approximately 5 weeks. Tests have not shown it is mono but the doctor feels it is a mono like virus. Other bloodwork has all come back normal. He has had severe fatigue, on and off fever, and swollen glands especially his spleen. No sore throat. I know in some cases mono can last between 1 to 2 months (or more in severe cases). It is very frustrating not having a confirmation that it is mono. One other thing, is that he was just finishing up 7 months of accutane for acne. Here are a few questions:

1) if it is mono, how long would the swollen spleen last. I had read elsewhere that the swollen spleen if present typically goes away after four weeks.

2) if it is not mono but another mono-like virus, are there any tests to do that would tell you what it is?? Without having a conifrmation, it has been extremely worrying to us, his parents.

3) is there any possibility that the accutane has anything to do with the swollen spleen. I read elsewhere that people with mono should not be taking accutane or drinking alchohol or taking tylenol. He had just stopped taking accutane when he started showing signs (ie. swollen spleen). Could a problem result if he was taking accutane prior to showing symptoms of mono during the incubation period. IF so, any recommendations for tests to do or things to look for.

Thanks for any thoughts. We are very frustrating and would love to find out what the problem is.

I know how frustrating it must be for you not knowing what the possible causes to your son’s problems are. Have you mentioned Accutane to the doctors you saw?

You see, Accutane is a very powerful medicine and it has a lot of side effects, some of them quite severe. Some of the common side effects would be dry mouth, nose, skin, lips, itching or conjuctivis while the severe ones include bowel inflammation and pain, chest pain, decreased night vision, decreased tolerance to contact lenses, delay in wound healing, depression, fatigue, headache, nausea, peeling palms or soles, rash, skin infections, stomach and intestinal discomfort, sunburn-sensitive skin, thinning hair, urinary discomfort, vision problems, vomiting, etc
I was wondering if the docs who saw your son took this into consideration.
Accutane is so powerful that it can have effects on mental health as well, and even some suicidal attempts have been reported. I am not trying to scare you or nothing just point to how dangerous Accutane can be. This is why it is called “last resort” for treating severe acne.

Accutane could have caused his fatigue, make him lose interest in social, school and sport activities, problems concentrating, etc

What did the doctors suggested you did about your son’s symptoms? Did they advise him to rest, eat healthy food and see what happens?

The symptoms of fatigue, enlarged lymph nodes and swollen spleen usually last a few weeks longer than fever but you are right about aprox. 4 weeks’ time in mononucleosis.

My daughter has been fatique since january. had her tested for mono 2 times nothing. 3 time positive. she has been so tired, her spleen is enlarged and has had problems breathing at night when she sleeps. She is 14 years old and has been out of school 30 days and now the dr wrote her out of school to be home bound. Anyone experienced these problems with breathing at night?

I am the mother of a 14 year old girl would has mono. This all started in January. she was tested 3 times, 2 being neg, 1 positive for mono. Predizone, spleen enlarged. trouble breathing at night. Very tired. She has missed 30 days of school so far. Dr just took her out of school on homebound , the teacher will be comming to our house. Has anyone ever heard of the trouble breathing with mono? please advice.

I was dx'd with Mono last August of '06 for the 2nd time.
The 1st time I got Mono was at the age of 14 as well, however I had no serious symptoms then. I am now 29 and this time, I had:
enlarged sore spleen, heart flutters, fever, extreme fatigue, digestion problems and the worst was....
the breathing trouble at night.
I would just get breathless, felt like pressure on my chest at times.
I would be sound asleep and wake up gasping at times...I was terrified of attempting to go to sleep. I don't think I got any good sleep for about 3 months. I only slept in short intervals or would sleep during the day.
The only thing that really helped me, was to prop up on several pillows keeping elevated. My doctor tried me on anti-anxiety medication, but nothing seemed to work. I would drink calming herbal tea at night before going to bed.
My respiratory trouble lasted 2-3 months.
It was horrible this go around, I literally thought I was dying and I am not a complainer.

I feel for anyone dx'd with Mono.
I hope your daughter is recovering.

Have you tried testing for lymes disease? The deer tick virus which causes similar symptoms but must be treated with strong antibiotocs for about a month to get rid of it. my son has mono now at almost 17 and is in his last 2 months of accutane. his blood tests showed he has accute mono. he had fatigue, soar throat, very tired. so we are just waiting it out. good luck to you!

when you had mono, was your abdomen swollen? as in... when your spleen swells can it push your stomach forward and thus make it appear swollen?

The spleen is not beneath the stomach cavity. It is right below your left set of ribs. When it enlarges, the tip drops down and pushes out from under the ribs causing a swollen lump just beneath the ribcage.

My fiance's spleen became swollen during his first bought with Mono in college. It's been months since he's gotten well and now his spleen is starting to swell again.

Has anyone seen the swelling come back?

I am 19 years old and have recently (within the past months) have gotten off accutane. Shortly after, i noticed i was tired all of the time, abdominal pains, and weight loss. I just today went to the doctors and the my doctor told me the same thing, a mono-like virus. I believe accutane to definitely have been the cause. It should be taken off the market before someone get's seriously ill.

I Personally Do, And I Have It Myself.

I Don't Get Enough Sleep At Night Cause I Can't Breath Very Good.

This is probably not very helpful, but I am in my 20s and have just been diagnosed with mono, and I also am having trouble breathing, particularly at night. I don't know exactly what causes it but I just wanted everyone to know that there are others out there with that problem.

Two weeks ago my 15 year old son suddenly had a sore throat and baseball sized lymph glands in his neck. He has difficulty breathing also. He's had vomiting and Diarrgea for the past two weeks. He's lost a lot of weight. He was on accutane for almost 5 months, with no problems-until now (he is no longer on it!). I took him our internal med. doctor who thought he had a virus, as he did a strep test that was negative. He put him on antibotics, just in case. Two days later he was worse. I took him to our ear, nose and throat specialist, who thinks he has mono. He also has sinusitis, tonsillitis, and an ear infection. I then, to him to his dermatologist, who ran his monthly blood tests, along with a mono test. He gave him a shot of cortisone and sent us on our way. Every test came back positve (or high) except, the mono test and cholesterol. His liver panel was bad, as was his lymphs, and his white blood cell count. He also broke out into a terrible rash. Back to the doctor, and another shot of cortisone (makes for one grumpy kid). They decided that the rash was an allergic to penicillin. He changed his antibiotic. They think it's either an allergy (that he's never had until now!), or it was a side effect from the accutane. He looks terrible, although his lymph glands have gone down. His eyes are always swollen with dark circles. He complains that his left side hurts. He's tired and grumpy. I am SO WORRIED! What could all of this be? He has to have another blood work-up in two days. The doctor is sure it's mono, although his test was negative. He believes the antibodies for mono will show up in his next blood test. If his liver test is still abnormal, he has to go see a liver specialist. I am terrified!!! I find it interesting that so many people have children with similar symptoms who are/were on accutane. Scary. Does anyone out there have any idea what could be wrong with my baby? Please help!

I am a 17 year old girl in high school with finals next week!
I have all the symptoms of mono but the sore throat and sores on throat went away after I took lyisene (pardon spelling).

So, I'm taking lysiene and it helps I guess. But my kidneys, lymphnodes, and spleen are still all swollen. I could barely stay awake for an hour at a time with the fatigue and had extreme headaches.

Doctors said they don't know what's wrong "just gurgle with salt water". PSSSSSSSSSSHT! They don't care, it was a 5min visit and she shooed me away. Now, they want to send me to the ER to find out what's wrong.

You wont get my money punks. I always go home not know what's wrong when I get back from that hospital.

Anyways, I'm guessing my immune system just sucks so, my advice.

Drink Alot
Eat fruits and vegtables
REST
Just do anything that will help your immune system. I feel better but still have swollen glands and an occasional headache. Not so bad.

accutane is not worth the struggle!! i am a 16 year old girl and had mild acne. i had tried everything and after the doctor had put me on antibiotics for awhile (with no luck) he put me on accutane. i had gotten no where close the recommended dosage period when my mother demanded i stopped taking it. i had gotten almost every side affect. i had dry skin, eyes, mouth, (all of which turned into flaky skin and scabbed) i suffered from severe depression, weight loss, i had severe tonsillitis, then got mono, then (on top of it all) my one eye was so dry is became misshapen on the surface and now i have occasional blurred vision. still i suffer from depression, weight loss and weight gain, fatigue, and the severe dry eyes. this has caused me and my mother a lot of grief. and i still get the occasional pimple! i'm warning everyone, its not worth it.
also, if you are afraid of needles it a bad idea, the doctors should test your blood regularly to see if your liver is affected.

sorry about spelling mistakes..

I am so glad I found this site. My son is 17 and has had problems with his lower abdominal area since Thanksgiving. He hasn't felt like eating and has lost about 30 pounds since Thanksgiving.

We have been to the doctor several times and have tried different medicines but nothing has helped. He has since had an ultrasound which showed nothing and a cat scan which showed a swollen spleen.

Being a mother that is a true worry wart I've been looking on the internet to try and find answers and one of the things that I have found common in all this is the accutane! My son also had mono with accutane and had to stop taking it. He has been off accutane for about 8 or 9 months now so I’m now wondering if this could be the source of his problems.

We are going to a gastroenterologist on Tuesday and I will follow up with what we find out. Accutane did help my son a lot but I’m not sure it was worth it. -If this is the source of the problem!