Hi!

For how long does accutane stay in the body after a 5 month long treatment? I've talked with two doctors, one that says six months and one that says 12 months, so i'm very confused now. The thing is that i'm planning on having a nosejob, but i've been told to wait until the accutane has left my body because "as long as the accutane is in your body it will disturb the nosejob's healing process". So my question is: how long will the accutane stay in my body after the treatment? Is there an exact answer? I really don't want to mess up my nose, that's why i'm asking.

I'm stunned that someone told you that accutane should stay in your body that long--it has a half life of 25 hours, so it should mostly be out of your body in three days. Does that help you with your problem?

I've done a lot of reading on this topic because I took accutane and I want to have a baby. I've called 3 top dermatologists in NYC about it as well. There are two different timelines to be aware of:

For pregnancy:
The consensus is that accutane should be out of your blood stream after about 12-15 days but you should give it one month to be safe. However, the doctors said that if you are thinking about getting pregnant, you should wait 3 months if you want to be extra sure and give yourself peace of mind. That being said, there is no evidence showing any increase in birth defects for women who got pregnant after being off from it for 1 month so if a woman gets pregnant after being off it for 1 month, she has the same chance of having a healthy baby as everyone else.

For skin procedures:
Accutane does have an affect on your skin and sabaceous glands long after it has left your blood stream. Therefore, if you are having a laser treatment or any kind of skin treatment, it is best to wait 6 months. If you want your scars to heal well, etc. I would wait 6 months before having any surgery. Some people say a year. I'm sure it depends on your skin type and individual circumstances.

After my first course of accutane, I had veins removed via laser 7 months after being off it and had no problems at all. Now I'm thinking of getting pregnant. I plan to wait about 4-6 months after being off of it before I begin trying.

Hope this helps.

Please can you explain to me why you are taking so long before you get pregnant yourself as someone has told me that you must be off Accutane for one year before having a baby?

I have been told 2 months, you are able to have a blood test to show if it is still in your body.

I have taken Accutane and my dermatologists have said that it takes 6 months for Accutane to leave the body. It also varies with how long you took Accutane and how high of a dosage you were on. But to be safe I'd at least wait 6 months

My Dermatologist said i should wait one month before trying to have a baby, yet my homeopath and normal Gp recommended 6 months to a year. its all so confusing as no one seems to have accurate answer.

I don't think you need to wait 4-6 months to try for a baby. I was an accutane baby meaning my mother was on the medication when I was conceived. She quit as soon as she discovered she was pregnant and I had a perfect delivery with no health problems related to accutane from childhood to adulthood. Although I do not encourage this short time frame I believe a month would be fine.