I am scheduled for my THD surgery today, June 14, 2010 at 1130 am. It is a couple of hours away, and I am feeling nervous about it. The doctor requested I perform a fleet enema this morning, which I have already done. It wasn't pleasant, but not terrible. I will update this thread sometime this evening if I am feeling up to it. I am going to try to update it often for anyone else thinking about the surgery. A little background, I am almost 30 years old and have had the rectal scourge for probably 10-12 years. Within the past two or so years, they have gotten painful. I almost never have bleeding, however I have pain after using the bathroom. The pain sometimes lasts for hours. I have had the Infrared Light Coagulation procedure done 5 times earlier this year in January and February, and saw little improvement. I was finally convinced to have the surgery done. I will keep everyone updated. %-)

Falcn87~I had the THD done April 9, 2010. My best advice would be to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water, start (if you haven't already) taking stool softeners without laxatives and fiber laxatives (like FiberCon - which will not make you feel bloated or give you cramps).

Ask the Dr./nurse lots of questions and make sure you can contact the Dr. if you have an emergency question (I had the Dr. cell number).

When you get home, don't plan to do anything - just take your pain pills and rest. Your body needs to heal and resting will help.

Tomorrow, start taking warm soaks in the tub. My Dr. told me that was one of the best things I could do. Good luck and keep this site posted. :-)

Well, its 9PM on D-Day. Going into surgery was nerve wracking and it didn't help that it took three tries to get my IV line in. I was first hooked up to a saline drip and also given two pills orally. The pills were to help prevent nausea following anastesia. I was wheeled into the operating room and I recall talking to someone in there. I suddenly felt my lips get tingly, and then I was out. I woke up in recovery feeling very groggy and lethargic. After nearly 2 hours I was ready to go. The docotor said the surgery went better than expected. He also numbed the area with lidocane. After getting home, I had some crackers and drank some water. My fiancee went out and got me some Fiber One cereal, Activia yogurt, some apples, frozen blueberries, some psyllium powder from GNC, Colace, Valium, and Vicodin. I took my first Vicodin and Valium and ate some pureed blueberries/activia yogurt. I drank some water with it, however about 5 minutes after finishing, I vomited twice into the trusty puke bowl.

I would rate my pain at '2.' I suspect it will get a little worse as the numbing medicine wears away. Currently I am having trouble urinitaing and my genitals are still numb from the medicine (This is really weird). So far my fiancee has been wonderful, as she is basically waiting on me hand a foot. I'm glad the surgery is done and am looking forward to recovery. I have two weeks off work, so hopefully that will be enough.

Map, I will see how the psyllium husk works. If it makes me too gassy, I will try the Fiber con

Hi falcon87, Welcome to the wonderful world of post THD you may be in for one hell of a ride. On the urination thing try standing near the toils or even the shower and keep the water running this will help heaps!! Don't eat too much the first couple of days as the longer it takes to go to the toilet the better and try to keep up with the ice pack on your bum 15min on 15 mins off for an hour three times a day this will help with the swelling.

If you find it difficult going to the toilet the first time and it will be painful just remember DON'tT!! PUSH !! and if it get real bad do it in the bath tub in a lot of hot water i know it sounds disgusting but trust me it works a treat. Don't wipe your bum for the first couple of days just jump straight in the shower and was the area with warm/hot water it's a lot better than wiping the area.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Day 2
To start with day 2 I will have to tell you about the late hours of day 1. I could not urinate. I was in a hot bath for nearly 2 hours trying everything I could to urinate. I had been drinking plenty of water, and I felt like I had to go, but nothing was coming. I was able to make a small trickle come out, but I could not sustain it. About 1130pm I woke my fiancee up and told her we had to go to the emergency room. Upon arrival, I was checked in and went through the normal emergency room stuff. A nurse came into my room and asked me a few questions. She left and returned with a foley catheter kit. I was laying on the bed with a gown on and I could feel my legs shaking. This was really making me nervous. I asked her where the tube was she would be using. She pointed to a tube that looked to me and my poor willy to be the diameter of a bratwurst. I said a few bad words aloud and was thinking how on earth was that huge thing going to fit in that tiny hole. After prepping with betadine, she began the insertion. Omigod! The burning was horrible. The catheter was fully placed and began to drain. It drained just over a liter of urine in about an hour. The catheter was eventually removed, and we went home. I woke up at about 6 am this morning and had to urinate. I had difficulty starting the flow, and when it started, the burning was again terrible. I managed to empty my bladder, but it really burned.

So far today, I have eaten some Fiber One cereal and pureed blueberries with Activia yogurt. For dinner I will probably have some more cereal and an apple. I have taken 4 colace total and 2 valiums and 1 vicodin. I took the psyllium husk, but I have been having gas and cramping as a result. I probably won't take any more of that. I had a small bowel movement that appeared to consist of a few pieces of stool and blood. The pain was less than prior to the surgery. Plus, the pain afterwards did not increase after the bowel movement. As of right now my pain mainly consists of a dull ache in my rectal area. I would rate it at a '2'. The burning while urinating has decreased as the day has gone on. The cramping from the psyllium husk is bothersome though.

A side note. I used a hand mirror to look at the surgical site. Its odd, because there is no protrusion or prolapse present. This will undoubtedly make wiping after using the bathroom much easier because there is less 'real estate' down there to get soiled.

I will keep updating, if anyone has a question, ask away. By the way, I had my surgery done in the St. Louis area.

I can tell you falcn i had thd surgery tommorrow will be 6 weeks and i remember sitting on the toilet trying to urinate and nothing but when i got in a hot tub of water it helped me go...I had this for the first week bad and progressily it got better and now i am fine...First 2 weeks were the worse then i was fine. I was given stool softeners and percocets and took 1 percocet every 6 hrs and 3 stool softeners a day with loads of water...Now i just take one stool softener at night and as far as pain meds stopped them after week one and only took one every 6 hrs that first week...I used milk of magnesia when i felt constipated...Now i go every am 2 times and i still see hemmies outside which i didnt in beginning but the surgeon said that he didnt suture them up because be extreme pain but they retract because they shrivel...i do notice a difference but i hope he is right because no way am i doing this again....had very little blood week 2 and he said can still have that now but i haven't...The baths were a life savior for the healing and the pain and the sitz baths and you can take advil....Just note that you will feel better with each day......

Try this if you are having trouble urinating (this will only work for guy's sorry girls) in a hot an i mean hot shower only get your back wet stand like that for about 2-mins making sure no water runs down your front. After about the 3 mins mark and your back is nice and used to it turn around and let the hot water run down the front of you and over your genitals this always did the trick for me and still works even after going to the toilet.

Day 3
Today was a pretty darn good day. I didnt take any valium or vicodin today. I only took 3 advil in the morning and 3 advil in the evening. Pain is minimal at best. I had some cramping issues, likely related to taking that psyllium husk, but I passed the gas and all is well. For breakfast I had Fiber One cereal and 2 colace. For lunch I had a can of tuna with crackers; a blueberry, banana, and activia yogurt smoothie, an apple, and 2 colacce. I drank several glasses of iced green tea (made with tea bags of course, not the premade stuff in a bottle). For dinner I made chicken stirfry with brown rice and 2 colace. I mostly rested and laid around the house all day, also taking several sitz bath. I had a small bowel movement with a stool probably a little bit larger than a walnut. I expected more, but I wasn't going to be doing any pushing. There was no pain upon passing the stool. Today was an easy day. I would currently rate my pain at 1 or 2. I occasionaly have a slight tinge of pain upon passing gas, but it quickly goes away. I am so far amazed at the ease of my recovery. I know this is really really soon in the game for me, but at this point in time I would definitely recommend this surgery to others. I understand others have had much more painful experiences, but mine so far has been relatively speaking easy.

A side note, my doctor is relatively new at the THD procedure. He is a colorectal surgeon who works in a practice with several other doctors. He is in his thirties and seems pretty down to earth and was easy to talk to. He told me the first few THD surgeries he did he did his best to give his patients "The anus of a 21 year old." He was referring to the anopexy portion where the prolapsing portion of the hemorrhoid is pulled in. He said these first few patients experienced quite a bit of pain. He surmised this was due to the tight anopexy he performed. He told me he was being more conservative with the anopexy portion now. I told him I don't look at my anus too often and I did not have a need for a 21 year old's look. This could be why I am not experiencing the pain others have talked about.

In any case, I would like to say I am completely off my prescription meds. I am going to do my best to stay that way, as I don't want the constipating side effects. I will continue taking the colace and advil. A question to others though: The colace bottle (50 mg) says to take up to 6 per day. I am taking 2 in the morning, 2 at lunch, and 2 at dinner. What did you guys do? Any recommendations?

Day 4
Today started out easy. I ate my Fiber one cereal for breakfast and had my 2 colace. I felt like I had to have a movement. Unfortunately I spent most of the morning on and off the toilet unable to poop. Two times I had a small acorn sized piece of stool pass. I could definitely feel there was more in there, but I was not gonna push it out. I had a nauseous feeling all morning due to the pressure of the stool. I did not have any pain though. I made up a pot of strong coffee, so strong it was bitter. I drank about 4 cups worth (according to the measurement lines on the carafe). I drank more water to keep from getting dehydrated. I was on the toilet and then into the tub to try to loosen things up. I finally had lunc consisting of chicken stir fry leftover from the night before. I followed that with an apple and a blueberry banana Activia smoothie. I again felt the urge. I went and sat on the throne and I felt some stool exit. I didnt do any pushing, and I immediately felt some relief. It just slid right out, so I didn't think it woud be a whole lot. I looked and saw a rather longish and fat stool. I was quite surprised it was so large. I experienced no pain, but I got in the tub for my sitz bath. A couple hours later, I had another movement with nearly as much stool, just in 4 pieces this time. Again I experienced no pain, only relief. In between baths I have been using an ice pack on my backside. I feel like today was a good day. I took a total of 4 colace and will try to stick with 4 now for the time being. I am still taking Advil, 3 in the morning and 3 at night. The day started poorly, but got much better after lunchtime.

A side note, I seem to have a mucousy (is that a word?) discharge that comes out just prior to a movement, and sometimes leaks a bit with flatulence. It is slightly tinged red, but not bloody by any means. I am guessing that is a result of the stiches in my rectum, as I didn't have this before, but I suppose it could be a result of the colace too. Anybody else have that?

Also, I am keeping a journal / notebook with all my food and medicine intake along with the times. Also any 'output' is written in as well.

Hi Falcn...
The mucous is normal i had it like close to a week and half maybe 2 weeks.The blood shouldn't be alot just drops and that comes with the stitches sloughing off....That can happen they say like 3 time in beginning and then 2 months and after...You might also have what i still do its this weird feeling like u go and its small and u look and its big sort of like you know something odd...That goes away i heard in 2 to 3 months...It is 6 weeks for me and i can do anything and basically go in am one to 2 times.I still take one stool softner at night with lots of fluids cause surgeon said safe to take forever if colace but will stop that in another 2 weeks...I still have itching and he gave me creme but that started to irrate me so he said use witch hazel...Right now only problem i have is i see hemmies still that i orginally didnt and i asked him he said he didnt stitch up final plexy because to painful for people and those will retract.. I am hoping he is right cause then i feel like i am back to square one....Please keep us updated..Milk of magnesia or fiber con excellent to take if you cannot go and advil is fine to take as well...

Things are continuing to go well for me. There is no pain. I am continuing to take 3 advil in morning and 3 in the evening (about 12 hours apart). I am continuing with the Colace as well.

Solie, what kind of stool softener are you taking? How well does it work? The colace seems to be going well for me, I am just not sure how long I can take it.

Hi falcn;
My Doctor said i can take colace forver and wouldn't be a problem but i am going to stop at 8 weeks.Now mind you i take one at night with lots of water that is it and i started that after week 2.. Prior to that i took 3 a day and i was going to much....Now it is week 6 and i go in am sometimes one to 2 times...Hope this helps...

Today is my two week mark. I am feeling good and will be returning to work today. There is some minimal hemorrhoid swelling on the outside that has developed where my largest outer hemorrhoid previously was. There is some very minor itching/burning occasionally, however compared to the horrible pain I experienced pre-surgery it is almost nothing. The doctor said I am released for all normal activities. He said I am good to go on cardio type excercise but should wait a couple months for resuming weight training. I am definitely glad I had the surgery done, and only wish I had done it sooner. If any person out there reading this is unsure about whether or not to undergo THD surgery, go to the THD America website and find the closest doctor to you. Arrange a consultation and see what the doctor says. I feel fortuante I had this done and I would be remiss to mention the help I had from posters on this website about the THD surgery and the results.

Falcn87: I am also in the St. Louis area and am pretty sure from what you have said in your posts we have the same Doctor. I am scheduled for THD on December 28th. I found your posts to be very informative and helpful. Now, several months post surgery, are you still glad you had the THD surgery? And were you pleased with him as your surgeon? Any comments or advice you have to me would be greatly appreciated, as my surgery is in a few weeks and I am taking in as much information as I can. Thanks!

Mrsfun81,
I can tell you that 6 months out from surgery, all is still going well. I have zero pain from hemorrhoids. Prior to surgery, I had terrible pain. The pain was so bad, it interfered with my life. I would try to only have a movement every two or three days because for hours and hours afterwards I would have horrible pain. It was so bad that I could not leave the house. Now, I don't have any pain during or after a movement. Also, I don't experience any pain upon encountering stressful situations like I used to. As far as advice goes, make sure you have someone that will be able to be with you at home post-surgery for about three days. My wife was a life saver. As I mentioned in previous posts, the pain after the surgery was minimal at best. The worst pain I experienced during the whole ordeal was having to go to the emergency room and get catheterized.

I am still doing my best to keep my fiber intake adequate. I can really tell the difference in the ease of movements when I have been eating well and when I have been eating poorly.

The surgeon is a pretty down to earth type of guy. He answered the questions I had plainly and he didn't fill me with any false hope. He had told me my case would likely have been best served by a traditional hemorrhoid surgery, but that THD would probably help. I am here to say that it has most definitely helped. There is still a minor prolapse/skin tag that protrudes, but it does not swell and become painful like it used to. I wish I had it done sooner.

As far as post-surgery, I ate lots of fruit. We have a Ninja food processer, so I made tons of fruit and yogurt smoothies. Apples, frozen blueberries, and bananas were the top ones for me. Ground flaxseed is something I have been eating for a couple years now and I would add one spoonful to whatever I mixed in the Ninja. I drank lots of water and stayed away from all processed foods. I even gave up drinking beer for a while. I also bought the frozen stir fry bags from the grocery store along with the natural brown rice. I would cook a couple chicken breasts, the rice, and the stir fry and mix it all together. It makes a really good meal. The psyllium husk gave me too much gas, so I stopped using it.

Let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me using my name on this website and adding @yahoo.com to it.