Well for years i suffered from hemmies but not where i was bleeding ..They come and go and i deal and then last July they came and never left and between all the cremes , suppositories and baths i decided to start to investigate all the proceedures and came across THD Surgery... Wow i said this sounds so much better then the traditional and my insurance covers this.. I started to seriously think aout doing this and decided to go for it as the doctors wouldn,t continuesly give out prescritptions....Well i have had surgery and I have been given pain meds and if i took one that was alot but this expereice was the worse or close to the day i was in labor for 28 hours.....You come home with your stool softeners and 30 pain pills which is a joke because it says take one to 2 every 6 hrs and that doesn't equate to what 4 days.....I decided not to take many as i didn,t want to be constipated but didn't matter it happened anyway... On day 6 i thought i die and the best part is i am wondering if i can take an enema or laxative is it safe because they dont give you that info....Called the office they said they get back to me i waited and nothing the day before and then hell happened....I am not one to be a nuisance or complain but for everyone who decided to get any hemmrhoid surgery i implore to ask hundreds of questions before it happens and do not get it done unless you seriously need to...It is day 11 now and i am doing better but i havent gone anywhere because i am always running to bathroom....You get mucus discharge that comes after you cannot urinate and sit on toilet trying to relax but nothing.I found a warm bath helps and that all passed but it is a horrible feeling to have to go and can't.They say this is same day surgery and no pain, now that is a joke....Personally i think they need to keep people in hospital until they have first boqwel movement so they are in a facility that can inject them with pain shot that immediately takes effect...They say you can resume normal activities and diet another joke..You can not eat whatever you want , you get gas pains and your bathroom habits aren't as before the operation... I am praying that in the long run i don't regret this because I love life and to be a victim to the toilet and pads isn't what i envisioned.....I went into this with a positive attitude and slowly it has dwindled away and i pray that there is a light at end of tunnel....For anyone that wants to do this i suggest hot baths they are a wonder....If you don't go get the milk of magnesia and take it it wont hurt you if taken as bottle says....be careful what you eat for awhile and take some metumucil and be careful how many stool softeners you take....I am praying that everything looks good and i have no problems because if they tell me i do i don't know if i go back .....Everyone is different but if you do have bad hemmies and get any hemmie operation i can tell you it won't be a walk in the park expect the worse and if comes better you be happier..me i expected the best and landed up in hell....Oh and if something isnt right go to ER because that is what they will tell you...I feel the hospital should inform you better of what to do afterwards and the doctor's office should have a list of possible alternatives if you cannot go to bathroom or getting spasms or you see blood...People have no idea how it feels unless you go through this and one should not have to feel there are a pest for asking a substantial question to the doctor..the medical field has advance i will give the world this but the caring factor and personable skills with communication to patients is long way from perfection.....

Oh my goodness Solie - I so agree with you! The problem is that this is such a new procedure the Dr. and nursing staff don't know that much about it. I was one of the first in our area (Peoria, IL) to have this done. I took notes everyday and gave them to my Dr. three and a half weeks after my THD (done April 9, 2010). He was thankful I'd made a daily log because it helps him and the staff. My Dr. did make himself available for me to call him after the procedure and I did call him the second day after the procedure.

I only took 4 pain pills and didn't think they helped that much. I then took Ibuprofen instead and think it took the swelling down which made me feel better. You might want to try it.

It's not a walk in the park as they want you to believe. My Dr. did say soaking in a tub of water is the best thing you can do. He also agreed with me that taking stool softeners (non-laxative kind) is a good idea. I took them several days before my procedure and continue to take them. The Metamucil will give you gas. Try Equate (Wal-Mart brand) Fiber Laxative (compare to Fibercon), it will not give you gas (my daughter's Dr. told her she could take it forever since it's gentle). I don't think it's so much what you eat that gives you problems, but the mere fact that your intestines have been empty and are filling back in. I found that even though I didn't eat anything gassy, I still had gas (bad) for a couple of weeks.

The Dr. also told me he put sutures in that aren't supposed to dissolve until about month 2. However, I noticed that I had a piece of suture about 1 inch long come out on Day 27.

I would suggest going back to the Dr. after about 3 weeks. This way, the Dr. can address your concerns. Yes, I did have a list of concerns and a LOT of questions which my Dr. was glad to answer. I have what I would describe as a deflated hemorrhoid that slides out after several hours (I had Hem. surgery 28 years ago and the deflated one was what was left). My Dr. seems to think that it will pull up a bit more after another month...I'm not so sure. He said if it doesn't, he will do something in his office ... maybe band it.

I think you will feel much better after Day 16, I did.

HI, well i'm coming up close to 4 weeks since my THD surgery and as like you i chose this surgery because of the supposed quick recovery time HA!! that is a joke. Before the surgery i had no external hems but i now have 2 :'( ,but they are slowly going away.
How many good days have i had since the operation hmmm.. i think about 5 days in total where i could get up and go out of the house for more than 2 hours. I'm still on a hi fibre diet but at least i'm now taking minimal pain meds.

what ever you do don't push when you go to the toilet take some laxatives or castor oil. Castor oil was my choice as it moved things quite quickly 2 tbls will nearly flush you out it might sound like a bad thing but at least you'll have no need to go to the toilet for a day or 2. Soups have been my saving grace and stay away from bread.

Good luck with it all and keep us posted.

Cheers.

You know it's funny how the Thd Site has testimonials that say oh i went to dinner the next day and i was fine after 4 days...What they don't say is how bad the persons case was or their hemiies....You know what is funny is i had no bleeding whatsoever but i decided to do this proceedure because it actually sounded easier, no enema ..easy recup time..little blood...They say this is better then other standard operation and i say OMG i can only imagine how horrid that is..Okay today is day 11 and i actually went to bathroom little pain and been more active pass 2 days...What i decided to do is take one stool softener before bed and then drink more water take just 10 grams of fiber in water and eat more fiber and i am slowly getting there....I am going to try the ibuproen which i wasn't sure i can take cause they wanted me to stop all asprin products before surgery.....Scared to take that Castor Oil stuff and since i been going think i wont do that....The thing is i want to get back normal so trying to eat more normal ...Does anyone know why we get this mucous stuff and what is good to clean with other then toilet paper that is dampened with warm water...? I think i got more information from this board then myn surgeon which is rather sad...I chose him because only one up here that does that and has excellent ratings but his personable skills need work...I called the office 3 times with questions for the nuse who was very sweet and then i called asking what i could take since hadn't gone in 5 days and she said she get back to me and never did...Well my hub called the next day cause i was screaming in bathroom the nurse put dr on he said he couldnt hold on cause my husband wanted to see what we had i could take and i just took milk of magnesia...Needless to say that worked the next day and i dealt with the plug and pain but went ..th doctor told my husband that i been calling and asking the nurses questions well that ticked me off because it made me feel like a pest...You get all this money from my insurance company and have the audasity to say that......I do understand the pressure of a doctors office as i used to work for one for 5 years but i was always kind and nice to all the patients as the nurses were here but the Surgeon needs to get some compassion as i know he is busy and such but the main issue here was i called the day before and no one got back to me...I am so annoyed and i know after all this is over i wont go back to this guy for anything.....This has been a hugh expereince for me how your life can change in an instance and how some people are so kind and some just so cocky ....Thank you for your replies and Bless you all....

Solie~ I talked with my Dr. about taking Ibuprofen and he said it was ok. That made me feel better because I'd been told what you'd been told. Continue to take stool softeners since Ibuprofen can be a bit constipating. Get the stool softeners that don't have laxatives in them (I get the generic, but compare it to Colace). Get Fiber Laxative pills (again, I get generic - compared to FiberCon because FiberCon won't be gassy) and take them. I've asked my Dr. about taking them and he said they are fine (gentle enough) to take forever.

Don't use toilet paper! Use baby wipes. They are more gentle and get things cleaner.

It's going to take you more than a week or two to get over this. I'm sure it depends on the age of the person, the condition of their hemorrhoids and how ones body heals and reacted to anesthetic.

I am sorry the Dr. is not be compassionate with you. How sad!! WHEN you call the office again, let the nurse know your concerns and explain that you wouldn't be calling unless YOU felt it was necessary. I am guessing the Dr. didn't have any problem taking the money from your insurance company, did he??

Please, keep us updated on your progress!

Well went back to doctor today and feel so much better. i talked to him about how i felt how my call was handled and he said he was told they called me but that never happened....Needless to say he apologized and coulnd't be any more nicer. I have minimal swelling which he said is great on day 12 and he answered all my questions.....I actuallly went to lunch after and to shop rite....Okay i haven't taken any laxatives and gho every am after coffee so won't take anything unless need to...Dr said fibercon is excellent and the ibupropen...I been eating what i want because i want my body to be as before and seems to work with me as long as you take the stool softener which i take one every night and drink lots of water or apple juice or juices...I stopped that metumucil as it was giving me gas...
For the person taking that castor oil that is not a good thing to take my Doc said get Fibercon something stimulant free even milk of magnesia but not castor oil.. For 2 months time you should be feeling alot better and be able to eat normally.....Have you gone back for checks at doctor? I have to return in 3 more weeks....Thank you all for your information was a godsent and i will keep every one posted and you all do the say.Blessings solie

Went for my 5 week visit to surgeon....What he told me was that i might see alittle blood again not much but i could which i haven't.He gave me this creme for the itch and it also reduces the swelling.Told me the hemmies i see will get smaller and smaller and retract but that takes time...Other then that i feel fine...I just hope these hemmies do get smaller and retract because i am hardly doing anything else after all this...What i gained was this whole process takes a few months so i will be patient..

The only thing i've gained is Weight !! lol.. from being so sedentary
only kidding....

LOL Craig i lost 11 pounds from all this...I hope your feeling better now.I know this whole process is not fun especially when you think you will be fine in a few days and wont see any hemmies....

Hey Solie, how's evrything happening at your end (no pun intended). I'm doing bloody fantastic it's been 7 weeks and everything is back to normal. I'm finally able to do a FULL days work with no ill effects.

It is 5 weeks for me as of today and doing good...I still see hemmies but the surgeon said they will shrink . I do see them getting smaller.He gave me this creme for the itch and it also for inflamation . I can do all my old things mowing lawn and walking ..I guess i will feel even better as time goes on...Glad your back working and feeling good i know you had a rough time of it....Keep in touch.Blessings solie

Hello, I've just had THD (3 weeks ago) for large prolapsing internal hemmies. Was one of the lucky ones who had no pain afterwards, but I am still having the hemmies prolpase. They're smaller than before the op, but still big as they were VERY big before the op! Has anyone else experienced prolasping post-op and how long did it take for things to shivel and retract? Please help as I feel like this has failed and i'm back to square one.

Well you r very lucky not to suffer pain, i was in terrible pain for at least the first 3 weeks. I had stage 4 prolapsed hems. I can't give any advice as what your hems should be doing as every case is different but as far as i know is does take time for the blood in the hems to reduce and get absorbed back into the bowel wall lining. As long as all the vessels have been tied off you should see reduction. I still had bleeding for about a month afterwards but nothing since (2 years now) in that time i've built a 65 tonne retaining wall by hand dug 150mtrs of walking tracks and currently building a 2nd storey on my house. So you will see some benifit and i have not looked back since.

Just remember stick to a healthy food intake. I went complete vegetarian and have stayed that way as to prevent the same thing happening again (no i have not missed meat). The best thing for breakfast is porrridge with Chia Seed and a table spoon of flax seed oil, this is the PERFECT start to the day.

Chia seed is VERY good for you. Start walking, NO heavy lifting, NO and i mean NO pushing when going to the toilet as this is where it all started from in the first place and other reasons. If you have a desk job you are more prone to getting thems as well.

Hi, Craig2, do you still have prolapsed hems now?
I had 6 CRH O'Regan banding done, the doctor said I was hem free 5 months ago, but I still feel a small mass prolapsed during BM. I had stage 2 hem.

I went to see two colorectal surgeons, and they suggested hemorrhoidectomy because I have a mixed hemorrhoid.

Thank you very much.

Hi Jen, I have been clear of them since the surgery (YAHOO).

Like i said, i changed my eating habbits before the surgery and have been a Vegetarian now for over 4 years and have not looked back. I realy do think helps a hell of a lot. It's better changing the way you eat than suffering hems again. Did the surgeons specaiize in THD or are they the run of the mill cut and sew surgeons?

The reason i ask is, i had to find a specialist (which took a lot of digging aound in Australia) in the THD field and i relied on his judgement. All i wanted was to get my life back and do a full days work without any recourse. With the banding i think they are a waste of time as i had 2 bandings done and they were a waste of time and money.

I would suggest to see a THD surgeon only and then go with his recommendations.