I was one of the first in our location to have the THD procedure done. I was in an out patient setting and yes kicked out before I felt like I should be. Fortunately, my Dr. knows what they did and is mad about it.

I started taking stool softeners a few days before the procedure (which helped me a lot). I ate soft food the day before too. I think Ibuprofen helped me more than the Vicoden did. I only took 4 of them. I had a 'plug' that looked like a tampon stuck in and my Dr. told me it would come out with the first BM or dissolve in 5 days. It 'slid' out on the 4 day. It was about 2 1/2 inches long and I'm glad I didn't pull it out (yes, the thought did cross my mind). My first BM was very soft and I was very thankful. It still reminded me of a crushed glass feeling. Each BM got better because I am still taking stool softeners. Stool softeners are your friend ... don't take the caster oil ... stool softeners will be better and not so hard on you.

The first several days, I noticed that I couldn't urinate like I thought I should. I was drinking a lot of water (about 6 - 8 glasses a day). I now look back and wonder if it was because everything was swelled up inside.

I ate pudding and oatmeal the first several meals home. Slowly, I added soup, turkey sandwich etc. Now, I try to eat a lot of fiber when I get the chance and am back to normal eating.

I kept notes through this whole ordeal and plan to give them to the Dr. when I see him May 5. Some of my notes reflect the fact that I was 'told' that I would be 'fine' to fly to Florida on vacation a week after the procedure. Let me tell you, I was not fine! Thank goodness, my husband got a wheelchair for me at each stop or I don't think I would have made it. However, my sister-in-law's hot tub was a godsend every night we were there. I really think that single thing helped me the most.

I, like you and others, have had no real direction from the healthcare people. They say it's such a new procedure, that they simply don't know the answers to my questions. I still have the 'full' feeling when I'm on my feet too long (THD done April 9). I don't have any blood and after calling the Dr. office today, they said that was still a possibility along with the full feeling. I am relieved to know that I'm having more normal feelings. For a while, I thought that maybe I was the only one that didn't get along as well as I was supposed to. Apparently, I'm more normal than I thought! By the way, we've been to Brisbane, Australia and love it there!!

Hi MAP 1969 ! I underwent THD on 29 May 2010 under the care of DR. B Ramana,MS,FRCS at the Wockhardt-Fortis Hospital here in Kolkata. I was okay post op in the hospital, but am suffering from terrible pain thereafter, it gets accentuated after BM which are soft courtesy laxatives; Seitz Baths are my only solace, I remain immersed for most of the day, I noticed a lot of bleeding post BM this morning, it was fresh & bright red; I believe that this is to be expected and I should not panic; I do sure hope I'm right..........I would like to know how other patients have coped with post THD surgery......Warm regards to all; May all be healthy, Dev Prasad.

Well today is a month since my THD surgery and i go back to surgeon again next week. I am so much better.I am back eating normal but still take one stool softener at night.I had bleeding slightly in beginning but that is from stitches sloughing off i was told and can happen up to 2 months but hasn't anymore...The only thing i find annoying is this itch. I go like 3 times in am and i use baby wipes and sitz bath but i get this itch and i know i am cleaning myself good...It isn't constant and I have no rash so don't know if thats from being shaved and hair growing back or the stiches...Is this normal i wonder? I woulnd't say i am 100 percent but considering how i was in beginning i am alot better....I am hoping this worked because when i look i see looks like a deflated hemmie.Either way if it doesn't not going back for anything else.This operation had to be the worse one i had as far as post op....I have learned more from people on these boards then the hospital.They say you can resume normal activity in a day ...Laughing that is really funny as i didn't feel like i could until 2 weeks....Any one have itching? let me know what you use and if normal at times....

Solie & Lt. Col Dev Prasad~ I didn't have bleeding. However, my Dr. put a 2 1/2 inch long plug (looked like a tampon) in - probably to soak up any blood. It came out on the 3rd day.

I didn't have real pain. I had more of an ache. The ache was more like menstrual cramps. I did take a pain killer for 2 days and ended up taking Ibuprofen for the pain and swelling. I felt like the Ibuprofen did more than the prescribed pain med.

You're not going to feel better until about day 16. I did feel better after day 7, but much better after day 16. Everyone's body heals at a different rate - give yourself time to heal - don't expect miracles.

I did feel some discomfort after each BM, even though they were soft. I felt that discomfort up until about 6 weeks after the THD. My Dr. is a big believer in soaking in the tub. You might try putting Epsom Salt in the water to help take away the pain. I took Ibuprofen after the first BM of the day and within an hour, I felt much better.

Lt. Col Dev Prasad, I would contact my Dr. regarding the red blood, just to make sure everything is ok. I'd ask about the pain too. Let 'us' know what the Dr. says.

Solie, I didn't have any itch. That being said, I did have 'funny sensations' that I could feel for several weeks. There was no shaving involved in my THD. Your itch could be from the hair growing back or sutures sloughing off. My Dr. said he put sutures in that aren't supposed to slough off until around month 2. However, I noticed one suture about 1 inch long at month 1 time frame.

I do have what I would consider a deflated hemorrhoid. My Dr. called it a skin tag (although, I disagree). Anyway, I go in next Monday (June 7) to have that 'skin tag' RBL (rubber banded). I plan to ask lots of questions before having it done. My 'skin tag' interferes with cleaning and I feel like it's pulling down on the internal hemorrhoid above it. My Dr. confirmed the hemorrhoid above the 'skin tag'.

The Drs. should not tell people they will be fine after a few days - it is not true. It took at least 2 full weeks to feel better for me and I think I got along better than many people here. I too am much better after having this done on April 9, 2010. I will let everyone here know what/how the RBL thing goes. I hope I've answered some questions and if you have more ... ask!

Its amazing how each surgeon does things differently.I had no plug in me at all and very little bleeding last time i bled was 2 weeks ago and that was so little...Don't have any aches but notice my hemmorhoids deflating and have no more intentions of any more proceedures.I had enough ...they definitely shaved me alittle i noticed that right off bat and havent seen any sutures come out and it is 4 weeks today....I do take alot of baths and they help alot and i guess will know more when he examines me internally next tuesday, will let all know what he says.....Good luck with that rubber banding....One question is if you have an internal hemmie above that skin tag why didnt that dissolve with the proceedure?

Solie~it's my understanding that the blood supply is cut off to that hemorrhoid when the arteries are sutured - it doesn't dissolve the hemorrhoid immediately. It's my guess that over time, the hemorrhoid (vein) will shrink and not be a bother (that's my hope) :-)

I am hoping that as well because i see a hemmie i had it is smaller for sure but there so hoping that it shrinks because after all i have been through i hate to think it was for nothing....Took me 9 months to decide to go through with the surgery....I give everyone credit for doing surgery because it isn't any easy decision especially this type of surgery and hope everyone has a good outcome ....

I had the THD procedure done on November 1, 2010, and this surgery was more painful than when I gave birth! From the moment that the gracious nurse awakened me from my blissful nap, I was in intense pain. I eventually started crying and sobbing and was on the verge of an anxiety attack, so it was at that moment that the nurse decided that tending to me was a little bit more important than completing charts. I had a very large external thrombosed hemorrhoid that was very painful; I had suffered with internal hemorrhoids for years that would bleed at times as well. Well my husband and I decided to go to the little mini clinic here locally since my butt problems became worse on a Saturday, so the lovely doctor offered to lance the roid so that I could get some immediate relief. I agreed, but then to my surprise, the doctor informed me that he would not be able to numb the area, but would only be able to put a topical numbing agent on my precious and tender hind parts. Being in the pain that I was in, I felt that nothing could feel worse, and I was needing relief at any cost. After the cold scalpel sliced open the roid, the doctor then proceeded to squeeze out 3 blood clots, each the size of a sweet pea; and after the initial shock of what happened, I actually did experience a bit of relief. However this relief was short lived because by the time my husband and I got to the waiting room, blood had soaked the gauze that was placed between my cheeks and was now running down my legs in a very steady stream. So back to the drawing board, and after about 30 minutes of hard pressure applied to my tender bottom, the bleeding stopped and we were allowed to go home. Needless to say, the roid filled back up, and continued to bleed...not forgetting of course the pain that I'm still experiencing. So off to my PCP we went on that Tuesday! He parted my cheeks, gasped, and without hesitation said that I HAD to have surgery..and offered to hospitalize me until the surgeon could assess me. I said that I could wait at home until I was seen..which luckily the surgeon called us as we were on our way home. I ran out of the antibiotics before my surgery date, so by the morning of I was running a low grade temp...I've had breast reduction and was under the knife for over 4.5 hours..NOTHING COMPARES TO THIS PROCEDURE!! I felt like I wanted to die after I woke up. I attempted to get out of bed Tuesday morning at 2 AM, and after sitting on the toilet and feeling like my innards were about to fall out of me, I then proceeded to get up and lost consciousness, thankfully not before I called my husband's name...so back to the ER compliments of an ambulance we go! I was given fluids and Morphine and could not leave until I pee-d a river as long as the Mississippi. Every time I go to the restroom I feel like I am in labor..it sucks not being able to pee on demand, and BM's suck the big one. I am entering week two on tomorrow and I am still taking the Milk of Magnesia and Myrilax(sp) so my stools are liquid...I've had to take Stadol and Darvocet for pain..then along came the lovely rectal spasms, so now I take Valium as well. I have my first follow up on Tues the 16th and I have a gang of questions to ask my doctor...namely how much longer will this episode last. I still have an open wound back there, and I have two skin tags that should shrink with time....My doctor has said that this procedure will leave me hemorrhoid-less for life...a hundred could grow back and I will have them until Jesus comes again, or calls me home to Heaven..which ever happens first!

Hi.. Had thd surgery 2 weeks ago and I felt like it was the worst days of my life. Had internal hemmies that were prolapsed and could no longer push it back in... It is not true that you will feel better and resume normal activities in 48 hours! They must be joking.. Was in bed and was in a lot of pain. Thanks to posts here, ibuprofen really does a heck of a good job. My question is, when does the hemmie shrink? I still have a hemmie, although it is smaller, but why is it still there? How long before it deflates? Coz i can not wait. I hate to think i went through this for nothing...

hi Vanessa, is the hem u r talking about internal or an external one?

the THD only fixes internal hems so if it's an external one you will need more surgery i would say.

I am a hemorrhoid surgeon. I had THD 5 days ago. I had grade 3-grade 4 internal hemorrhoids. Suffered for years with pain, bleeding and unbearable itching. I studied THD for months. On the day of my surgery, my partner and I performed three and I was the fourth case. I had a great first 48 hours. Then I had 3 days of terrible difficulty passing stool. I got through it by staying on Colace, citrucel and a high fiber diet. Tonight I passed days worth of stool. I feel amazing relief. My anus looks and feels great. I am amazed at how little anal pain there is. This procedure is a keeper. I would recommend it to anybody afflicted with hemorrhoidal disease. I practice in Southwest, WI.

Hi, I started reading all the posts since I've had THD procedure, I  found this site when I started investigating how others might be doing with this procedure, especially since I didn't recover in 48 hours and back to regular activities in 4 days like the

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

claims.

I am sorry I didn't find this site before I had this procedure done.

I just had my procedure done 6 days ago on April 21, 2011 at 8:00am. The first thing I noticed was I still had hemorrhoids. Soon as I got home and slept off all the anesthetics, I took a hand mirror to see my new rear, but to my surprise I had more hemorrhoid than when I went into surgery with.

I feel like c**p. I have constant pain; I have a BM at least 5 times a day. The second day I took a stool softener and drank a glass of fiber-all in Gatorade, because I was concerned of constipation. That was 5 days ago. I am so sore and raw. I can’t go back to work, because I can’t stay out of the bathroom. Please tell me I will get better soon. I don’t think I can wait 7 weeks.

Hemmies hurtin'

I wondered how Hemmies Hurtin was doing since last post

Dr. D's postings were most encouraging.  I still would like to hear from post-THD patients after six months:  lives better or worse?  Pain? Recurring hemmorhoids?  Thank you!

considering THD.  doing the research.  would like to hear more about post op experiences.  Thank you Dr. D.  I am in San Diego!  come visit?