I underwent THD last Wednesday, choosing that option because of the shortened recovery time, etc. But, now five days post, I am still experiencing a lot of pain. Have a call in to the doctor and so as i wait to hear back, would like to know how many people have experienced this procedure as well, and to find out what is a realistic recovery time. Before and after BMs, pain is agonizing and must be followed up with a soak in the tub and a lot of deep breathing and a possible nap. Am supposed to go back to work tomorrow and don't see how I will get through the day. Any other THD folks out there?

Hi bailablanco sorry to hear you are having troubles with THD. Are you sure that is all you had did they do any bandings?

you also cjheck out this Thread for THD

https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/thd-hemorrhoidectomy-works&hpr=THD_hemorrhoidectomy_works_&sid=9e9979ae7f096a16a4c5902a4b589e87

I'm going in for mine on the 22nd of this month so i hope mine goes fine.

Actually, from what the MA from the doctor's office said, it sounds like they did some cutting on an internal, but the doctor did not tell my husband that after the surgery. That would explain a lot however. I had seen that other thread and was wondering why my experience sounded so much different. I sure hope for you that your procedure goes well and that I did, in fact, have a little something else done that changed the typical recovery time. Good luck!!!
Post again afterwards, huh? Would like to know how it goes.

AH !! the cutting on the internal is where I would say the pain would be coming from as you would know there should be only minimal effect from the THD procedure. When i have my surgery the world leader in THD will be on had to supervise the operation. This is my second procedure under the knife, the first was a colonoscopy with 3 bandings and there was a lot of pain in that and about 2 weeks of tentative BM's so I'm not looking forward to that again but it's better than suffering this.

The best way to deal with the pain is to submerge yourself in really hot water/salty water and just soak yourself with a bit of pain relief.

Try not to pee!!

As you would/maybe have experienced their is a great sensation to pee, DON'T !! as mine and what others have experienced there is a chance that you could produce more HEMS!! and that is one thing you don't want to do.

Hi bailablanco, How has your recovery been going so far ?

It is so much better now, thanks!!! How are you doing, after your procedure that was on the 22nd? right? It took a full two weeks to not have the incredible pressure and to be able to sleep through the night. At about 2 1/2 weeks, I really felt pretty close to normal. Stopped taking the stool softeners at about two weeks because things were a little too soft and creating a couple of accidental situations! :-) I'm feeling now that it will be a little bit longer before all is completely back to "normal" but I no longer regret it. I'm curious to know how you are doing one week out?

Congrats on recovering so well!! I wish I could say the same the pain has just been unbearable at times unless i have a dramatic turn around in a couple of days I think I'll be oing for some time yet.

Just give it a little bit more time - you know the drill, lots of baths !!! I was taking Advil more than the prescribed pain pills because that really made a big difference with the swelling. It seems that I most uncomfortable because of inflammation, and the Vicodin did nothing to help that. I was taking four, every 5-6 hours. Had to do that for about a week and then started backing off (hard on the liver) and added back in more of the Vicodin. At one week out I was really still having a hard time. By the time I got to two weeks out, it was dramatically better! It just takes longer than the doctors lead you to believe. Hang in there - it is going to get better, and it won't be too much longer. Be prepared, after about a week or so, I was waking up in the night drenched with sweat. Maybe the toxins flushing from all the meds and anesthesia - good thing that I usually needed to get up and get in the tub anyway!!!! I started being able to sleep all the way through the night, no baths or sweats after two weeks or so - that seems to be the magic marker.
Good luck - happy healing - be kind and gentle on yourself!
Libbey

I had the THD procedure on April 9, 2010. I really thought I'd feel much better after the procedure than I did. I should have known better. I'm feeling better now (3 weeks later). I have not noticed any sloughing off of tissue. When does it take place ... within days or weeks? I had one big hem and probably some that I could not see inside. I think the veins of the big one are getting smaller (just my observation) ... but, I could be wrong. I'd like to know if 'things' keep shrinking (and for how long) or will I have this extra skin forever?

I kept a log of my progress for my Dr. and for me which I plan to give him when I return for the first visit May 12th. There is so little information out there on this procedure, I welcome any comments from those who have had it and those thinking about having it.

I'm the same as you map. :-(

I had mine done nearly 2 weeks ago now, mine were a stage 3-4 prolapsed and when i did an inspection on the area last night it was a complete mess down there (i won't go into details) and has left me a little bt depressed.

How are you mangaging to go to the toilet?

Are you blocked up all the time and if not what have you been taking to releive yourself?

I myself have been using castrol oil to flush everything out every couple of days therefore only giving me one day of going to the toilet and no pushing involved, which by the way i did the 2nd day and forth and i think was a BIG mistake but there was no other way of going to the toilet and was given no other option.

One thing that realy gives me the S*its is after the surgery the doctor basicly wipes his/her hands off of you and you're are kicked out of the hospital and on your own. No idea what to expect no idea on what to eat and no idea and if anything out of the ordinary in what to do. It seems it's all guess work on your part to figure out what is normal and what is not.

So i'm about to take some more castor oil today and get a complete flush out again so i can have 3 days of no going to the toile and three days of good healing this to me seems the better option than wanting to go to the toilet all the time and having to push every time when going to the toilet.

Craig2~ this is the first time I've used this website and apparently put my post under, 'THD Post Procedure Recovery' instead of THD Post Procedure Recover'. Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope you get my new post. Map1969

The Metamucil and the Stool Softeners really did the trick - your body has it's own natural rhythm of when you want to go so you have to just work with that a little bit - I usually go in the morning, and until about two weeks out - the pressure building up to the morning "go" started the night before - extreme pressure, which was painful - but then in the morning, all came out and all was well. Going too much can be a problem, I noticed on a Saturday, feeling better but had too much coffee!!! For me, it seemed like I should have been feeling a lot better after the time that had past, but it really took a good two weeks. If you are not taking Advil, I would definitely recommend it - the swelling is the main problem with the pressure that you feel, that terrible pressure!!! Oye!!!
Hang in, lots of water, grape juice...take your Metamucil - breathe!! Breathe!! Breathe!!!!!!!
Baila Blanco

Well I've finally had 2 days of grace and that's because i didn't need to go to the toilet. I hadn't needed to take any pain killers today that's not until I needed to go this afternoon and wham more painc and pressure. Now I also think I have one hell of a large hem on the outside c**p!! :-( I've never had one on the outside before and i think i got some more inside. NOT HAPPY JAN!!

So back to the castor oil to help things along again and to get rid of this shocking pressure that i get and can't get rid of without do some pushing.

Another night of hell coming up.

All~ I went back to my Dr. today for a check up after my THD 25 days ago. I asked about when the sutures would dissolve. He told me he used a special kind that dissolve in 2 to 3 months. He doesn't use the kind that dissolve in a week or two because the site usually bleeds. He said the hemorrhoid tissue will shrink up to 2 months after the THD. He said I could see sloughing off of tissue, but probably would not unless I was 'looking' for it. He said the skin tag may go away on its own in 3 to 6 months. If not, he can do something in the office. No, I didn't ask what ... I'm hoping it will go away.

Interesting side note, my Dr. told me there is a Patron Saint of Gardeners and Hemorrhoids named Saint Firace!

That's good news map. They only way to get rid of that skin is to band it !! OUCH!! I'm surprised it will take up to 6months to see what the final result is but i guess it not a part of the body that gets any rest. Try and use ice on that tag 3 times a day 20mins on 20mins off it should help reduce it also when in the shower before you hop out turn on the cold water and put the shower rose up close for a minute or so this will also help.