Eight years ago I was diagnosed w/ Graves Disease. Experienced all the "Hyper" symptoms - even experienced 2 "with storms". Took beta blockers and had the radioactive iodine treatment. Afterwards, the doctor told me the treatment had no effect on my test levels (though my "bulging eyes" retracted or improved as well as some of the symptoms), so he said i would have to have one more treatment, which would completely destroy my thyroid and I would be on medication the rest of my life. Well, like an ostrich, I stuck my head in the sand and pretended (hoped) it would just go away. No treatment, no medication. Somewhere along the line, I flipped over to the "Hypo" side - Around the time I became pregnant (3 years ago). I took Levoxyl for a few months while pregnant, but stopped. Now, my pulse is 60- instead of 160+. I weigh 200 lbs, instead of 150, and couldn't lose a pound if I starved or worked myself to death. I'm weak, tired, moody, losing my hair again, can't sleep, seems like I might forget my name! Since I have a son now, I give a little more thought to my health. My GYN ran the TSH & T4, and to no ones surprise, prescribed Synthroid (which I am taking) and suggested I followup w/ my primary care provider (of course, I don't have one, yet, but will find one!) I don't know much about this disease (or if I was misdiagnosed), so I don't understand the radical change (flip-flop) and am wondering what kind of damage I have done by ignore this for so long.

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism Aug 2006. I was on PTU and Beta blockers and xanax for my nerves. I thought I was losing my mind. After more tests they said it was graves disease. I lost 10 lbs and was extremely tired. I finally had the RAI treatment about a month ago. My medication has been cut by half and I am feeling better. I have hope now that I will get better, but they told me that eventually my thyroid will go hypo more than likely. Just have to keep it checked once a year. I now have severe endometriosis and can't help but wonder if the graves had something to do with that. Dr. wants me to have a hysterectomy but I am hesitant. I am not in any pain and periods are not that bad. I am getting a second opinion. I am 48 and I thought when you go thru menopause that endo goes away. At my age it can't be far off.