My best friend had problems with sleeping, tremor and she lost a lot of weight. She went to her doctor and was diagnosed with Graves’s disease. I am really worried about her and I don't know anything about this disease. What is the treatment for this disease? Is it lethal if it's left untreated?

Graves’s disease is a type of autoimmune disease. The immune system over stimulates the thyroid gland causing hyperthyroidism. When the thyroid gland is over-stimulated, it produces more thyroid hormones than the body needs. High levels of thyroid hormones can cause difficult side effects. Graves disease is an extremely rare disease that tends to affect women over the age of 20. The most common symptoms of Graves’s disease are insomnia, irritability, weight loss without dieting, increased perspiration, muscular weakness etc. In some cases women can have Graves’s disease without any obvious symptoms. There are many treatments for Graves’s disease. Some medications lower the amount of thyroid hormones produced by the body, regulating them to normal levels. Surgery is also an option, and in this procedure a part or all of the thyroid gland is being removed. Radioactive iodine damages thyroid cells to shrink the thyroid gland, to reduce hormone levels. Just like surgery, this condition leads to hypothyroidism. In these cases medications are required for the rest of the patient's life. If it's left untreated, Graves disease can lead to more serious complications and in extreme cases, death.

My cousin has problems with thyroid gland. Honestly, I am not sure if her diagnose is Grave’s disease, but I think it is. She has a 15 months old daughter now, very beautiful and healthy. I know that she was under doctor surveillance whole pregnancy and under medical treatment. It was hard but she made it. Consult your doctor about it. I mean before you get pregnant.