Long Post

I am 34 years old and in my third pregnancy. At 31 after my second Pregnancy I was told that I have Wolf-Parkinson-White and Mitral-Valve Prolaps. I have had symptoms since very early childhood. Shortness of breath, dizziness and just a feeling if being sick. My family didn't think it was anything other than just playing too hard. I would be told to just take rest once they noticed my face being flush and my breathing rapid.

After my second pregnancy things turned for the worse. I had non-stop chest pain, almost fainted several times, unable to walk without feeling like my legs were going to give out. I had sharp pains in my head that felt like someone stabbed me with an ice-pick. The pains would come and go very fast. I also had bowl problems and continued to lose weight even though I was eating more food. I eventually was down to 88 pounds. After a year of feeling like this everyday, I went to the doctors. I was afraid that they would call me mental, because every part if my body hurt. My OBGYN was very nice. He ran test and found that my thyroid was hyperactive. He sent me to an Endocrinologist. Who said exactly what I thought the doctors would say. He told me that my thyroid was not that bad. He said that I was just under a lot of stress. More than likely Post-Pardom Depression. He said I was very underweight (dah - that was part of my symptoms - and very common for people with an over active thyroid). Anyway he dismissed me after a five minute appointment and told me to seek mental health. He then sent a letter to all my doctors telling them that I needed Psychological help. It was very upsetting!

Well, I went to General Physician, not a Psychiatrist. He did an EKG as soon as he heard me say chest pains. It was so bad that he sent me to a Cardiologist and I was seen that day! After having a monitor for 24 hour, I was told that I had Wolf-Parkinson-White and Mitral-Valve Prolaps. There was a debate for an hour between 5 five doctors in the practice on if I should just have the surgery or meds. The Electrocardiologist decided to put me on meds to first to see if they would control my heart-rate. It worked after trying a few different medications. It worked and I had no symtoms.

After a few years my blood pressure started to drop very low. They slowly reduced my meds until I was off. Everything was fine. I had no symptoms! Now I am pregnant for the third time. My test results show an overactive thyroid again. Once again I am told to see an Endocrinologist. The only symptoms I have are: fatigue, occasional shortness of breath that goes away as soon as I start to rest, sweating - or just feeling hot even it is cold and a little trouble sleeping. Most can be caused just by pregnancy alone. I must say that I am worried about going to an Endocrinologist. My last experience was horrible. And now my medical records show I was Post-Pardom even though I was clearly not! My Cardiologist told me that I didn't have to see him unless I started having problems again. I don't think my symptoms are from WPW, they just don't feel the same.

Has anyone gone through this before? Do you have any suggestions? Can I get the Post-Pardom out of my medical records? How should I handle the appointment with the Endocrinologist? I know that an overactive thyroid must be treated in pregnancy because it can cause many problems if not a misscariage.

I have Graves' Disease (Diagnosed in 2004), which is an Overactive Thyroid due to Auto Immune issues. I am 11weeks pregnant today and I see a high risk OBGYN and they are the doctors managing my medications because of the effects on the baby. They are experienced with these types of situations, as well as the others I have, and are wonderful. Get with your OBGYN, and have them transfer you to a high risk doctor.

Also, with an overactive thyroid, they may suggest RAI or Surgery. Learn your options, take your medications. RAI was offered to me for 3 years, I still refuse. I will have the surgery over the RAI anyday.

My OBGYN is a high risk doctor. I went into labor with my second pregnancy at 2 months and was on bedrest for the rest of the pregnancy. My first pregnancy I had my son 6 weeks early (completely healthy).

I think he wants me to see an Endocrinologist because my Thyroid numbers are not that bad. Just a little overactive. Because I have Wolf-Parkinson-White in the mix, it makes things harder. Wolf-Parkinson-White can put stress on the Pituitary Gland which can then send mix signals to the Thyroid. The only thing is that I am not having symptoms of "being in Wolf-Parkinson-White syndrom" right now.

Having a High Rick OBGYN was a good tip for anyone else in this situation.

I just really need to know what to discuss with the Endocrinologist. Questions I should ask and so on. Plus, I want to know if anyone else has the same problems I have. WPW and overactive Thyroid while pregnant. Is there anyway to determine what is actually the cause -- Thyroid or WPW? They can both be treated with beta-blockers, but at some point in time I would like to know how to determine the main issue. I really don't want thyroid surgery if it is indeed WPW causing all the problems. Plus, I don't want the surgery with my heart if it is the Thyroid. And at this time, while pregnant, I don't want to do anything drastict that will cause harm to the baby.

Graves' Disease is treated with Beta Blockers and Anti-Thyroid drugs as well. While I'm not familiar with your particular disease I can certainly empathize with you on your condition, I've had my disease for so long and the effects of it are freighting (muscle loss, heart conditions, eye problems, just to name a few). When my doctors found out I was pregnant they freaked out and gave me all these "worse case scenarios" that I almost terminated the pregnancy. I'm glad I didn't and instead insisted on being transfered to the Maternal Fetal unit. Especially since I have an ovarian tumor as well as the Graves' Disease, they have been completely wonderful.

When you goto the Endo, ask what your levels are, what treatments are available, what is suggested during your pregnancy, and what is suggested afterwards. Pregnancy itself can mess up your thyroid hormones. Ask if they will be doing Free T3, Free T4, as well as TSH levels (to rule out anything else directly with your thyroid), also have them test for the Thyroid Anti-body Thyroxin (I think that was the name of it). Additionally, ask if the medications they want to use are going to hurt the baby, what they are classified, and what the side effects are (some of the medications I have to take can and have caused hair loss, illness, etc). Ask how often you will need to be monitored via blood testing (I have to be tested every 2 weeks because my medication lowers my white blood cells).

As far as the surgery, I know my thyroid condition is caused by my immune system disorder, however the only "cure" the medical community has is the removal or killing of my thyroid, which to me is removing the symptom not the cause. I am praying for you! Hopefully the two of us can share stories later about successful difficult pregnancies!

Thanks for the information.

How far along are you in your pregnancy? I am only 12 1/2 weeks and have what feels a long way to go.

I remember feeling like this with my other pregnacies, but we did not know about my heart problems. I don't think a thyroid test was done with my first two boys. They turned out healthy boys and I am hoping for the same result. :-)

I am 11 weeks 3 days! And due August 26/27 (they keep changing the date between the two).

I know the heart problems and everything worry you, my disease went untreated for along while and they were concerned my heart may be wearing out. So far everything is alright and the only issues have been small and now are mostly dealing with my work.

Okay, I got some results today on my thyroid.

T-4, free is in range 1.8 Reference range is 0.8-1.8 ng/dl

TSH is out of range <0.01 L Reference range is >20yrs: 0.40-5.50
I am 34 yrs old

T-3, FREE is out of range 462 H Refernce range is 230-420 pg/dl

Not sure what this means. I have been feeling like my heart is beating fast, but not so bad that I can feel my chest move. Plus, I have no chest pains.

Shan... Those tests to me sound exactly like what I see when they do my blood work.

Tell me... are you hot often? Do your eyes hurt, especially when driving or walking in the day time with the sun out? Do your legs, the skin or muscles, on them seem sore?

Talk to your Endo about Graves' Disease... oh and I am going to give you my personal e-mail (I know they aren't permitted on the boards, but posting back and forth can be difficult). PageStory at gmail dot com.