Hi all. I’ve just found out that I have Hashimotos disease. My endo was very nonchalant about it. Now, I’ll have to take thyroid medicine for the rest of my life!!! That is really a big deal to me!!! What’s even worse, I've been on Levothyroid for 3 weeks with no effect at al. I still have all these symptoms: severe constipation, lethargy, difficulty losing weight, depression, dry, lackluster hair, low sex drive, clouded thinking and forgetfulness. Will I ever be myself again? Someone please help! Thanks…

Hi. If it is any comfort, you’re not alone - I know exactly how you are feeling. I was diagnosed with the same disease 2 years ago and I’m still trying to find the proper dosage. So far, I’ve been taking Synthroid and it helped me a lot – I just need to find correct dosage. I also have almost all symptoms you mentioned. I even once told my GP that he is whacked and didn't really wish to see him again. From everything I learned so far, there is supposedly some light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck and all the best

Hello there I never did thid before I'm rather computer illiterate. Retired teacher but was a supervisor and had someon to type for me. I am fifty-eight and a size 10. I've mainmtained a 45 lb. weight loss for 28 years! I live by my weight number BUT in the winter of 04 I noticed the number hitting 7-10 lbs more and couldn't get down to the losest number at all and the lowest I could go was still 6-7 lbs more than I had weighed in years!!! I asked for a thyroid test and sure enough it was at the high end onf normal and later shut down completely. I even started to exercise and walk!!something I had never done and still nothing. I was on levoxyl from feb. 04 and still am. The weight went down beautifully nine months after I was on the medicine. So from oct. of 04 till roughly may of 05 I was in heaven lower that ever ! 133 lbs for me is anorexic. I was in heaven and then it start getting resistand again, I haven't seen the 30's in months and am sick about it. Now remember I did stop working after 36 years but I still see the resistence to loss . I work at it daily but I little screwing up and I'm up 10 I am sick of this remember I' m a strict diet person. but by the weekend now I'm never down to where I was before. I shouldn't have been so cocky with the 133!

Wow,

I had hashimotos for 15 years by the time i caught it and it's severe for me cause I went into Myexdema Coma before it was caught. My heart suffered a lot of damage from it. And my immune system is very weak, I have problems breathing too when I get upset. I can die quickly if I stop my medication for even a week. I had to find out the hard way. Yes, it can get worse and be very very serious if not properly treated. Good luck.

I too am diagnosed with hashis.... would taking HRT for a year have caused it?... do I HAVE to take this medication? I dont feel any different or have lost weight and Ive been on it for over six months now... very confusing

I have had hashimoto's since I was 4 and I am now almost 20. It took me a long time but I feel great on my medicine. I still have a hard time losing weight but you cant fix everything I guess. I take 150 mcg of Synthroid but I have been all the way up to 225 mcg my body changes all the time but I have a good doctor and I can tell when I need more or less so don't worry there is hope!!

stephelizabeth- I am glad to hear you are doing so well. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Hashi's when she was 9 years old and I just like to hear how great you sound!

have had hashi's for a year now and can't lose the weight its got me insane.

Hi All,
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 27 years ago, and have been on Synthryoid or Levothyroxine ever since. Just recently I was diagnosed with Hasimoto's. I felt better on the medicine, but it never removed all my symptoms with the hypothyroidism-cold hands and feet, brain fog, dry skin, weight gain, fatigue, etc. I have FINALLY have found doctors who have decided that there's more ways of treating Hasimotos's than with just medicine. I'm currently on a detox diet for 3 weeks to flush out all the toxins from my body, then will be starting on a treatment program to get my body regulated and balanced. On the second day of the diet I already had 50% more energy that I have had in a long time. I'm already feeling MUCH better, and am anticipating improved health soon.

I highly recommend three books about hypothyroidism and Hasimoto's:
Hypothyroidism: The Epidemic by Mark Starr MD (history of the thyroid to present day)
Stop the Thyroid Madness by Janie A. Bowthorpe (Written by a patient and found this one at the library.)
Why do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests are Normal... by Datis Kharrazian (more technical)

All three books can be browsed on Amazon, to give you a sense of what is in each. Good luck and here's to a healthier life!