Can I get your opinions? If a woman with untreated and perhaps undiagnosed Graves' disease gets pregnant, what is the rate of birth defects in such a person? And what birth defects are on the list of those that are possibly caused by Graves' disease? If you have any information I would appreciate it if you could share.

Graves' Hyperthyroidism when untreated properly, especially during the second half of pregnancy, can lead to a variety of serious consequences for both mother and baby. There are two usual medications used for controlling hyperthyroidism in pregnancy: methimazole and propylthiouracil (PTU). PTU is generally the drug of choice, since it's considered safer during pregnancy and causes less risk of crossing the placenta barrier or harming your baby's developing thyroid gland. Some antithyroid drugs are never used during pregnancy, like Tapazole because it can cause severe birth defects. The worst cases of untreated hyperthyroidism in a mother can lead to miscarriage, intrauterine growth retardation, premature birth, low birth weight, stillbirth or hyperthyroidism in the fetus or newborn.

Hello, I have thyroid disease that was undiagnosed by my doctor, though they had tested me a year before pregnancy and failed to let me know that I had it. My son died a few hours after birth. He had multiple birth defects. Did something similar happen to you? I have Hashimotos (hypo).

hello. my best friend was diagnosed with graves disease a few weeks ago and was put on PTU. she had a severe reaction to the medication. so she hadn't been taking it. she just found out two days ago that she is pregnant... my heart breaks for her. is there anything she can do? or does she just have to wait and see? .....any advice appreciated!!

Sorry about your loss, how did they miss the diagnosis. Did they check your t3 and t4 . What were your TSH levels?