I want to start by saying that I know that my current Graves' disease treatment can't go on, and that I am not in denial that something more serious needs to be done. But my doctor is now suggesting Graves' disease surgery, otherwise known as thyroidectomy, and this is something I just don't know enough about. My doctor did explain that medication would regulate the function the thyroid previously performed, but does that my life long treatment?? What else do I need to know about this?

Had a thyroidectomy for Grave's in 2008. Yes, you'll need to be on thyroid replacement therapy for life. NO doubt, your conventionally trained endo will make it synthetic, like Levoxyl or Synthroid. If you can find a doc who is willing to give you natural dessicated thyroid, such as Armour, or at least a T4/T3 combo, you'll be way better in the long run. Take it from me...I've started developing a host of probs from being on T4 only replacement for so long. I'm not making T3 from it the way I'm supposed to. I'm finding a doc who will put me on Armour. Good luck to you!

I had a 4/5 thyoidectomy 10 years ago, and it was completely successful. I refused the more common "radioactive iodine" treatment which involves drinking a radioactive fluid brought you in a lead container. Afterward, you can't touch anyone for days. No thank you to that, no one can convince that is safe. I wish I had chosen to have my surgery much sooner instead of 3 yrs. of ineffective meds that made me gain weight. Get a world class surgeon such as Dr. Arlo Clarke in San Francisco.