Hi, I have a friend who drinks green tea all the time. It seams she drinks it instead of water. I have read that green tea can be beneficial, but I think that my friend is exaggerating. I mean, there have to be some side effects when you take so much of one thing. So could you tell me what are the pros and cons for drinking green tea?

Hi, you are absolutely right. Too much of a good thing can do a lot of damage. The same goes for green tea. It is true that drinking green tea is beneficial for many things, but too much of it has its side effects. The most important compounds of green tea are polyphenols. These molecules are found in high concentrations in green tea. They are powerful antioxidants and their role is to fight against free radicals that destroy our cells. That is why green tea can be used to improve your overall health. However, besides the polyphenols, green tea also contains high concentrations of caffeine. These amounts are lower than the ones found in the coffee, but still can induce some side effects, especially if a person drinks both green tea and coffee. Insomnia, irregular heart beats and headaches are some of those side effects.

What about green tea and your kidneys, I feel really bloated since I started drinking green tea.