Hello everyone! I am addicted to coffee, but it started to bother my stomach and it makes me really nervous lately. I am also quite aware that coffee doesn’t do anything good for my health. I want to switch to green tea since it also has some caffeine and will make my quitting the coffee-addiction easier and it should be good for my body, too. Does someone know which all medical benefits of green tea are?

Hi! You are totally right when it comes to coffee, it ruined my stomach too! I am now a green-tea addict and I believe that you will become one to as soon as you try all the different tastes of it. I prefer my green tea with lemon and would recommend you the same. Green tea is a good anti-oxidant and if you drink 2-3 cups a day it reduces your risk of getting cancer. It reduces the risk of other fatal diseases too. Green tea lowers the levels of cholesterol and fat in your blood, it helps you loose weight and speed up the metabolism, it even helps prevent dental cavities and is good when you have diarrhea or when you are vomiting. So find your taste and enjoy it! It beats the coffee anytime!

Hello! Although I agree that green tea is good for your health I think that its side effects should be listed too. Green tea can also make you nervous, it can cause insomnia, increase your heart rate and your blood pressure. It can also make you urinate more often which can also reduce your blood pressure. Green tea also interferes with the absorption of iron and folic acid and therefore avoid drinking it with meals and instead drink it in-between them. So, as coffee, green tea can also cause similar caffeine problems if you take too much of it. You can drink small amounts of both coffee and tea and feel well though.

Hello everyone,

Green tea is a great substitute for coffee. It has some caffeine, about 25 mg an 8 oz cup, but that is so little compared to 100 mg of caffeine for coffee. Green tea doesn't really cause insomnia because green tea also contains theanine, which is an amino acid and a natural tranquilizer that promotes a relaxed state. So with the theanine and modest amount of caffeine, green tea produces this relaxed but alert state people strive for in yoga class. At night, the caffeine is overriden by the theanine and most people don't have a problem falling asleep after drinking a cup of green tea before bedtime. The only people who might have a problem are those who are extremely caffeine sensitive, so in that case, you can drink decaffeinated, but you should only buy green tea that has been decaffeinated through the carbon dioxide or effervescent method. It should say it on the package if the tea has been decaffeinaed this way.

Green tea is not only a great substitute because of low caffeine, but also because of the huge amount of antioxidants green tea contains, especially the catechins which are some of the most potent antioxidants in the world.

Green tea has such wide-ranging and powerful health benefits that I don't believe any other substance can claim. There are new studies coming out every day about a newfound health benefit of green tea.

I hope you can beat the coffe habit with a green tea habit. That is a great substitute.