Can we have a master thread about the pros and cons of mineral makeup? 

This comes up quite a bit, and of course we can still have separate topics about issues, but perhaps we can discuss these things right here:

• What mineral makeup brands are best?
  • Is mineral makeup suitable for people with dry skin types?
  • What are the side effects of mineral makeup (skin rash, skin redness, etc)?
  • How to apply mineral makeup
  • Whether normal vs mineral makeup is easier to apply
  • How to start using mineral makeup, who should and should not use it

And so on, whatever you like, basically? 

I've got sensitive skin and mineral makeup is generally great for me because it doesn't further irritate my skin but has reflective particles that make my skin look better and offers sun protection because of the zinc oxide. Mineral makeup doesn't absorb into the skin like other makeup because of the different formulation, so that could be considered a con I suppose. I will add that I'm not a fan of Bare Minerals but I prefer Mineral Essence Magic Finish as a powder. It doesn't leave those creases you sometimes get and provides good coverage.

Well, that's pretty straightforward. 

Pros of mineral makeup:

1. Great for people with acne and/or oily skin
  2. Consistent and long lasting coverage
  3. It's breathable
  4. Sun protection

Cons of mineral makeup:

1. Often not good for people with dry skin
  2. May contain an awful lot more chemicals than people are led to believe
  3. Often not good for people with darker skin because of limited color options
  4. Expensive

Can't think of anything else right now, but that about sums it up. As for brands, I have bought a few MAC Mineralize products and like them. The lipsticks are awesome, so much more creamy than their other lipsticks. 

I would list misleading marketing as one of the main cons of mineral makeup. It has developed a reputation of being all healthy and natural, and the companies themselves, of course, don't have any reason to counter that reputation, even if it is not the full truth. There might not be parabens in mineral makeup, but there are all kinds of ingredients that are unpronounceable and unrecognizable and that might not trigger any alarm bells in the layman's mind but that are harmful chemicals anyway.

Since I had a bad experience with Bare Minerals and I am not sure which ingredient was to blame, I have just chosen not to use mineral makeup at all since then.

In short? The pros of mineral makeup are less pore clogging, less acne, a more natural look that is less bad for the skin, and sun protection the natural way. As for the cons of mineral makeup, there's two main ones. The first doesn't affect me as someone with very light skin, and that is that not every shade you'd find in conventional makeup is available. The second is that it doesn't last as long so you may need to reapply it more often than you are used to. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons and I love my mineral makeup.

Use powdered rhion horn with natural extracts such as ochre.

Celebrity
Do you mean rhino horn? (If so, isn't that illegal?)

Rosie

People have already said quite a bit about the general pros and cons of mineral makeup. In addition to that, each brand of mineral makeup also has their own pros and cons that are related to the structure of the particles they use and the particles themselves. Before you choose any mineral makeup, I would advise you to look up reviews. Bare Minerals has a "good reputation" for instance, but if you dig around, it will not be hard for you to see that many people don't like it at all. As long as you look for info on a particular brand + what it does for people with your skin type, you should be fine.

I have rosacea, and the Lily Lolo powder foundation used to work very well for my skin, but lately, I have found that my skin is just too dry and that this foundation might play some kind of role in making it even drier. I'm wondering what I should be using instead, or whether it's related to this foundation at all or just to the state my skin is in right now. Do any of you have any advice for me? If there are other people with rosacea here, what mineral foundation do you use on your skin and how are you liking it?