German researchers decided to study health effects of tea on a small group of people and also take often added milk into consideration.

Since the study was very complexed, it could be done on a small number of people, so they tested the effects of tea in 16 humans and on rat tissue.
It was found that black tea had influence on arteries helping them relax and dilate, keeping the blood pressure healthy that way. It was found that it was molecules called catechins that helped dilate the blood vessels by producing a chemical called nitric oxide.

When the researchers introduced milk into the study, they found that milk could be destroying tea’s ability to protect against heart disease. It was caseins, proteins in milk, that wee reducing the levels of catechins in the tea and therefore blocking the tea’s health effects.

Researchers believe that this could be an explanation why the British nation that drinks tea so much but adds milk lacks beneficial effects of tea on the risk of heart disease.

Others believe that the study was too small for any conclusions and that avoiding milk in tea would not improve anyone’s health like regular exercise, non-smoking habits and a healthy diet would.
They also stated that drinking tea with milk adds calcium to ones diet and should not be underestimated.

No kidding! That will cause me to stop and pause the next time I make a cuppa'.

On a sidebar, I worked for 2 years in a health food store. The nutritionists there would ask, "Who should drink cow's milk?" Answer: baby cows. Apparently, milk plagues people's digestive systems...and try it out. Test your lactose tolerance by drinking a glass of milk on an empty stomach. See what comes out? Often enough, it is gas or burping, which are signals from your digestive organs of incompatibility. It happens to me, too, but I just love warm milk with a dash of cinnamon on a cold night. XD