Hello. I’ve had dogs as pets ever since I was a child. I love them and my whole family loves them, so we’ve always had at least three dogs in our house. About a year ago I got engaged and my future husband is not so much of a dog person, but he doesn’t mind me having dogs as long as they don’t enter the house. We’ll see about that. Anyway, I’ve been meaning to vaccinate the puppy I got as a present from a friend, but my husband thinks that it’s not a good idea. He thinks the vaccine will do more harm than good. What do you think? What are the pros and cons of dog vaccination

Hi Dalmation,

Your puppy needs vaccinations.  They can save his/her life.

Parvo is a virus that attacks the intestines.  Your dog won't be able to get tne nutrients he/she needs to survive.

Rabies can kill your dog as well.  If your dog gets it, could be from another animal such as a skunk or an unvaccinated dog, you could become infected as well.  You do not want rabies.  Left untreated you will die.  Treatment is a series of shots.  Your dog doesn't have to get bitten to get the rabies virus, it is in saliva as well.

Talk to your vet.

Yeah, but there are also so many cons of dog vaccination. I don’t know where to start. 

1.Your dog can have an allergic reaction to the vaccine. 

2.The vaccines are known to create the disease they were intended to prevent. 

3.Vaccination suppresses dog’s immune system for a few days and that increases the dog’s risk of developing disease. 

4. The risk of Vaccine Induced Autoimmune Disease symptoms is greater than the risk of the actual disease you’re vaccinating your dog against. 

And I can go on and on with this.

I’m against vaccination so I won't be telling you about the pros.

You need to weigh the benefit to the risk

Never mind that in most locations you MUST prove that the dog has had its vaccinations.

Hello. You need to vaccinate this puppy. Of course that this is a good idea, actually this is something that is necessary. Vaccinating your puppy, you will prevent a tons of diseases, that your dog can catch while he is young. We all do know that puppies are weak, their immune system is weak, and that is why you should pay attention on it. About your question, I don’t think that there are cons of dog’s vaccination. I think that there are only pros. I know that a lot of people are unsure about this, but I never have heard that vaccination has cons. 

Good day all.

You should do this. I also do agree that a lot of people are skeptical when it comes about vaccinating their pets, but you should do this. Without questing your decision. Here is one example – my friend Laura had dog, and she didn’t want to vaccinate him, because she heard from someone that this is not a good idea. She was refusing it, and her dog died.

I just don’t want to tell you how this was tragically for her.

After this, I got a dog as well, but I wanted to vaccinate him as soon as possible.

It is the only prevention!  

First, you should consult your vet, but I do believe that he will tell you exactly the same thing.

Parvo is the disease that will attack your puppy, if you don’t vaccinate him as soon as possible. I think that your vet is the only person who can educate you about this issue.

But, to be honest, I never have heard that there can be some trouble if you vaccinate your dog, while he is still a puppy.

True, there are some vaccinations that are not good for every dog, but that is why you have a vet, right? 

Consult him...

Hello everyone, I’m an owner of a Pug and I’m not happy with the amount of vaccines dogs “need” to take nowadays. You have only one vaccine that the law requires your puppy to get and it’s rabies shot. That makes sense since you can get the disease from your dog and it’s fatal.

Core vaccines are not a must do thing, but you should give them to your dog because the diseases they prevent can also be fatal. You can choose yourself whether or not to give your dog other vaccines than this regarding the place where your dog is living, the way you dog is living and similar.

Hey there.

I have never heard that dog vaccination can be harmful for dogs. I was pretty sure that this is something that is not so possible.

So, I did a little research as well. And, I can tell you that I was pretty much surprised after I found that there are two types of vaccination that you should not give to your dog.

The main question is – to vaccinate or not to vaccinate. I do understand how do you feel right now.

Non – core vaccines include canine Lyme, canine bordatella and feline leukemia, for example. But still, there are many factors that will help you decide is this the best vaccination for your or not.

Please, consult your vet! 

Hi to all, I own two Labrador Retrievers, the first one is eight years old and the second one is five. My personal opinion is that the vaccines your dog is supposed to get are all very important and you shouldn't prevent your dog from receiving them just because you think it's not safe. Because it is safe. Vaccines are there to prevent your dog from getting a large number of diseases, and a big number of these diseases can be fatal. My dogs received all of their vaccines and neither one of them had had a single health issue in their lives. I believe vaccines are to be credited for that.

Hey there,I couldn’t agree more with you about this issue.I really think that you should do that, immediately.I don’t see any reason why some of you guys think that this is not safe. I had this little puppy, and I save him at the last minute.I didn’t vaccinated him on time, not because I was thinking that this is not safe, no. To be honest, I was thinking that this is not important.Parvo attacked my dog and I was mad at myself.That is why I advise you to vaccinate your dog.Good luck there!

I think that your husband is very wrong about the vaccines and that you should definitely have your dog vaccinated. It’s done worldwide, law demands it too, and it’s not without a meaning. You don’t want your dog to die because of some stupid disease that you, by the way, could have prevented by simply vaccinating your dog and you didn’t because your husband thought it was wrong. You should let your dog get all the vaccines that he is supposed to get to avoid him getting a disease and to avoid a fight with your husband in case your not vaccinated dog gets a disease.

It is more common for dogs/cats to die of these diseases than to actually have these side effects