About a year ago, I ended up in an Urgent Care facility due to a bad allergic reaction. As it turned out, the protein bar I had been eating on a near daily basis contained many herbs, including green tea extract. I was treated with Benadryl and adrenaline and released. It wasn't until I purchased a small cup of yogurt with green tea extract that I became aware that I was allergic to green tea extract.

I can drink regular brewed green tea and I often purchase and drink Trader Joe's green tea in their glass bottles and have not had an allergic reaction. But today, I suffered yet another allergic reaction when I went to a local Starbucks and ordered a cold coffee drink. About 45 minutes after drinking it, I became extremely hot and, when I ran and looked in the mirror... sure enough, my face, neck and chest were beet red. I raced around the house and found a Benadryl capsule and approx. 15 minutes later, some of the symptoms began to subside. I called the Starbucks and told them of the problem and was told that their green tea powder was shelved right next to their coffee powder which they used in my drink.

Can someone please reassure me that I'm not alone insofar as being allergic to green tea extract?

You're not alone. You should also be careful with other household products as I recently used a facial moisturizer with Green Tea extract and had a horrible allergic reaction on my face.

I have this allergy as well. I react mostly to skin products and can still drink green tea in its pure form.