Hello. I'm interested to find out more information about one specific disease of central nervous system called multiple sclerosis.
My best friend’s mother has developed this disease and all I know about it is that it is very serious, life threatening and that it has something to do with some structure called myelin membrane.
When I talked with him about this- he didn’t want to talk much about it but he told me that he also don’t know the exact mechanism of this disease. What is this myelin membrane?
Can anyone tell me more about this specific structure in central nervous system?

To be honest with you, I don’t know a lot about this but I think that any information could be useful.
You should know that this myelin membrane is one membrane that covers up the nerves. It is made up of several kinds of lipids.
Amongst certain lipids, a set of proteins called myelin basic proteins (MBPs) is essential for a normal myelin sheath to form.
The exact mechanism of this disease is still mystery. But I know that multiple sclerosis is characterized by the presence of areas of demyelination and inflammation in the brain white matter. It means that on some parts of the brain, nerves are not covered with myelin membrane. This is causing partial or complete paralysis. I hope this helped you to understand more about this.