My husban was diagnosed with schizophrenia one year ago. Lately, I have been searching for information about this disease. I came across grey matter of the brain. I would like if someone could tell me more about it and what kind of connection does it have with schizophrenia?

It is nice that you want to know more about your husband’s condition. I say this because there have been a lot of cases where people were left alone by they loved ones when they were diagnosed with this condition. I suppose that you know basic information about schizophrenia so I will limit my answer on gray matter issue. Individuals with schizophrenia, including those who have never been treated, have a reduced volume of gray matter in the brain. This is especially noticeable in the temporal and frontal lobes. Neuroscientists have recently detected gray matter loss of up to 25% in some areas. The damage started in the parietal, or outer, regions of the brain. However it spread to the rest of the brain over a 5 year period. Researchers have found out that patients with the worst brain tissue loss also had the worst symptoms. These symptoms included hallucinations, delusions, bizarre thoughts, hearing voices and depression. I wish you and your husband all the best.