Hi everyone,

So, one of my really close friends has anxiety, and he started to be completely unbearable. I mean, I don't care about me, he is starting to be mean to me but the worst thing here is that he is being bad to himself. That's not my main concern now.

My main concern is that the person I talked to about him told me that it is possible for a person suffering from severe anxiety to become a schizophrenic. Is this true? My friend is definitely suffering from severe anxiety and I don't want him to end up being a schizophrenic.

Hey Gaia,

There are way too many people worrying that anxiety can lead to schizophrenia or that it is a lot similar to schizophrenia (some people actually think that it is the same thing). This is all one big illusion, these two conditions are completely different from each other.

Anxiety is messing with the person's mind and that's why he or she might think that they are becoming schizophrenics. There are some symptoms actually which are the same for both anxiety and schizophrenia, like hallucinations, trouble thinking, trouble speaking, depersonalization, and derealization. This is why most people think that there is a close connection between these two conditions.

I always thought that these two had some things in common. To the point where I still didn't research about this matter, I thought that there had to be some connection between these two. Then I met someone suffering from anxiety and this guy was really scared that he might be a schizophrenic, but the truth is that he was just suffering from anxiety. I didn't want to give him some unreliable info so I did a little research on my own about the connection between these two things and what I found out was that these two are not connected in any way.

Hello.

I don't think so, so my answer is - NO. I don't even believe that symptoms are similar. Why? Because people with schizophrenia can certainly find their symptoms anxiety provoking,  but having anxiety does not place you at higher risk for schizophrenia. It is a totally different story if you ask me. 

You should know that schizophrenia is highly heritable and that there are certainly environmental factors, but if you don't have any family with it or Bipolar type 1 your risk for developing it is very low and becomes lower each year you live without developing it.

That is something that I was reading about a few moths ago. 

Okay everyone, I really appreciate that you took the time to help me out. You actually made my day better today.

I was really, really scared about my friend. I mean, I still am, his anxiety is at a severe level and I don't know what might happen to him, but at least I know now that he won't be becoming a schizophrenic.

Is schizophrenia really an inherited condition Rafferty, I didn't know about that. I can ask my friend if anyone from his family ever had schizophrenia, but I am a bit afraid that he might see what I am aiming at.

Good day there.

Anxiety is not related with schizophrenia and I believe that you already know a lot about it. There are a lot of reasons that can confirm this. As you already know, anxiety is a full experience and it involves a lot of mental, physical and other symptoms as well. Those symptoms usually can make you feel like crazy, like your brain is not working or things like this. When we talk about schizophrenia, people usually hallucinate and hearing thing that are not there around them, they are feeling like crazy, everything is bothering them.  

You see, there is no way that this is the same disorder. 

As you already know, it can't because it is totally two different issues. 

Sure, they are a little bit similar especially when you take a look at all of those symptoms, and because of it some people believe that there are so many reason that can cause anxiety turn into schizophrenia but it is not so quite correct. That is why it is not strange that people have this kind of fear. I had this fear as well since I have being anxious but my doctor told me that this is not possible. Well, almost impossible but you can never tell, right? 

I believe that anxiety can turn to paranoia, and after this I believe that it can turn into schizophrenia. So, yes - I believe that this is true. I know other people in the forum may not agree, actually I can see from your posts that you don't agree with me, but when I was younger I remember that I have been told and I have read on several occasions that anxiety does lead to having schizophrenia. Having anxiety can give you nasty thoughts - I get them myself, anxiety, depression - forget about it. I believe that this is true and I am totally sure that you should have a word or two with your doctor about this one.