I'm 35 years old and for almost 4 years now I have been fighting exzema on the back of my hands and on the lower arm on both sides. My doctor said that I should avoid contact with the strong soaps, detergents and after the contact with the water I should dry my skin to avoid the worsening of the inflammation. I have been using corticosteroids for a longer period of time now but they don’t seem to be working. Sometimes exzema shows up without any cause, could it be some kind of an allergy?

You probably have a condition called contact dermatitis (also known as exzema), it affects your hands and the lower arm, and its caused by irritation of your skin with some substances found in water or by the water itself. The most common treatment of exzema is with glucocorticoids, either put locally on the skin or taken orally, in that case they have a system wide effect. There are many different medications for this purpose with different concentrations of the glucocorticoids found in them. If the dose youre using doesn’t work you should ask your doctor to prescribe you a different medicine or the same with higher concentration of active substance. Also you might consider taking glucocorticoids orally which should give them a stronger effect. Exzema is often a sign of some kind of an allergy, you should try to isolate the allergen yourself and if you are unable to do that you should talk to your doctor about doing IgE test for allergies which is the safest way of determining if you’re allergic to some substance or not.