I have son that is 17 years old, and his puberty runs few years already. Beside somehow different behave he shows, I see one more sign of puberty. He’s got problem with his face skin and I think it’s really annoying him. One of my friend’s daughter visited dermatologist and he diagnosed her problem with acne vulgaris. I think it could be the same with my son, so I want to know more about Erythromycin, which is prescribed for treatment.

I guess dermatologist prescribed your friend’s daughter form of Erythromycin called EMGEL Topical Gel. The main substance this gel contains is erythromycin and is used to treat acne vulgaris. I can’t explain you the exact mechanism by which erythromycin reduces lesions of acne vulgaris because it is not fully known yet. However, the effect appears to be due in part to the antibacterial activity of this drug. Important thing you should pay attention is that concomitant topical acne therapy should be used with caution. That is because possible cumulative irritancy effects may occur, especially with the use of peeling, desquamating, or abrasive agents. Also, your son should avoid any contact erythromycin with eyes and all mucus membranes. Use of antibiotic agents may be associated with the overgrowth of antibiotic resistant organisms. If this occurs, it is recommended to discontinue use and take appropriate measures. Erythromycin should be applied twice a day after the skin has been thoroughly washed with soap and water and patted dry.