About two years ago I came up with four itchy bumps on my outer thigh. I scratched, etc and they turned into sore lesions. Quite red and leaked clear serum. They finally went away leaving purple looking scars.

At xmas this year I had it again. This time on both outer thighs. I also broke out in small itchy bumps on the elbows and hands. My feet developed the same problems so I couldn't walk. My hands were tight feeling and very itchy. Nothing seemed to stop it. The bumps seemed to be located on my knuckles, sides of fingers and where joints are in the hand. It finally cleared up (although I don't think it had anything to do with what I was doing)

In March I broke out again, this time on the thighs, hands and elbows only. Went to the Dr, blood work came back normal. Went to a dermatoligist who took a punch test, one on my hand and one on my thigh. Nothing came back....Im all clear. Just some sort of dermatitis. He gave me a Rx for a sedative/antihistimine and that seemed to help a bit.

Since then I have had the occasional bump appear and the tightness through my hands. I usually take a couple of the RX and it goes away. Unfortunately I have once again broken out and it doesn't seem to be going away with the Rx. I have one elbow, one thigh and my hands broken out. The hands aren't as bad as they have been, but still impede my work.

Im getting to the end of my rope. I can't sleep when Im itching, nothing seems to be clearing it up and the Dr's have no idea what it is. Please tell me someone here suffers the same issues and has some idea what it is.

I am having the same problem, mine just started a few days ago out of no where. On my fingers, knuckles, elbows and tops of my feet. Doctors have no idea.

I found this on the web, but not sure it is this. I have the same symptoms on my elbows and hands, but the itching is not that bad

What Are the Symptoms of Eczema?

The appearance of eczema can vary from person to person. In adults, eczema occurs most frequently on the hands and elbows, and in "bending" areas such as the inside of the elbows and back of the knees. In young children, eczema is often seen on the elbows, knees, face, neck, and scalp.

Hi from Canada.

I can certainly sympathize with you, and offer my support. I've been dealing with this for about three, maybe four years now (I'll have to take a serious look and see when this might have started). All I know is that I seem to have run out of rope a long time ago.

Both sides of my ring finger and inside of the little fingers on my left hand, both sides of middle finger of the right, a bit on my right elbow, but recurring on the left, sometimes along both forearms and into the heel of my hand(s), various spots on my back, thighs and smaller spots on calves, and most recently, around the edge of my hair (on my head) above my ears and right at the back where it's trimmed. Oh yeah, and a wicked itchy one on my left foot.

I have seen three dermatologists (a funny story for later), I have tried more than nine different creams, ointments and lotions (Coal tar with something (smells like Dubbin), Bactine spray, Polysporin (Now with Snoids!), various skin moisturizers, Amcinonide, Protopic, Betaderm, Lyderm (both with menthol and camphor) and most recently, Dovobet), I've fallen asleep on four different anthistamines, I have nine different packages of bandaids in my medicine cabinet, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. (I have pictures of all of this, if you're interested. ZZZzzz...)

Most recently, a combination of the Dovobet and the Lyderm have helped the skin heal over considerably, though not permanently. Most maddening, and most importantly, nothing really has worked to stop the itch. Though the skin itself is much stronger (though it is starting to break out again), the itch is there, maybe even stronger than before. I was in New York City for the very first time this past July (yes, there's a story there, too). It was 37C, and my hands were a sore, blistered, itchy mess as my brother and I wandered the streets of Chelsea. There were/are times I entertain the thought of removing my fingers or slicing off other areas of my anatomy. (I'm not nuts, and not about to do something so drastic, mostly because I can't type very fast with my elbows and I'd rather use my knives for choppin' broccoleah...). But, the sensation does approach that of running a cigarette lighter up and down your arm until you can't stand it. Believe me; I've tried it. More than once.

Hot water in a shower is probably the worst thing you can do (for your skin, that is), but the sensation can be as powerful as a full-tilt orgasm, or actually, that incredible feeling just before the big event. I've nearly passed out a couple of times over the power of the sensation of a strong stream of hot water on my forearms and hands. Nothing rude, just standing there with my forearms under the shower (Tingleking showerhead - the best ever, especially if you have decent water pressure - about $10 at Home Depot) And yet, right now, as I'm typing this, the only thing I really feel is that one on my foot. It's like the worst bug bite you've ever had, times three (there are three spots in a row).

I'm pretty sure it's somehow related to my nervous system. I had TENS and Accustim therapy at physio for my back and a right-arm RSI (another potentially interesting story for later) a few years ago. The therapy is based on Chinese acupuncture theory, which shows how the body is connected on a signal send-receive network level, and how nerves in seemingly unconnected areas will pass electrical signals to remote parts of the body. Both systems induce a series of small electrical pulses which stimulate the nerves, releasing endorphins, the same as does accupuncture or a good painkiller. Muscles relax and rebuild, strain goes away, and the endorphins make you feel good.

Sorry, back to the story. So one of the patterns of pulses for my right arm has me placing the probe on either side of my right middle finger just above the knuckle, for 30 seconds each. That stimulates a set of nerves that runs all the way up the arm, across the elbow, up around the shoulder and into that bundle of muscle that connects your shoulder blade with your back. You know, the one that if you get someone to press on that particular spot, you get some temporary relief. Anyway, several of the contact spots are in the same places that some of these skin irritations appear.

For example, my left elbow has a breakout on either side of the tunnel that the nerves pass through. The best way to handle it from a protection perspective is to use a decent quaity cloth knuckle bandaid (looks like an 'H') and a dab of one of the two above mentioned remedies. Properly applied, it can last 2-4 days, giving the skin a chance to heal up. Without the protection (and I've tried everything from bandaids to skin patches, to spray and paint on protection), my elbows and hands become a, well, I can't say a bloody mess as there is rarely any blood, but there is that clear weeping liquid that gets all over the armrests of chairs, the sill of my car door, the inside of a shirtsleeve, etc.

Euww...

Then, as always, it's back to the itching. Sometimes my shins and calves are so itchy, even though there are no apparent breakouts, I debate getting a rake or at least a fork. It is more deeply situated, under the skin, so a good scratch (I have great fingernails) usually does the trick. But, after a while, you find there are indeed little spots of weakness, just there under the skin waiting for you to unleash them. So, I have to bleach and wash my 600-threadcount sheets every week or two, and I'm just tired of the whole goddamned thing.

I've tried to connect it with my diet (it ain't so great, even though I'm a good cook, I'm lazy, too), but I can't see a pattern. Stress is always high, so maybe I've just worn something out. My liver, maybe? No, I can't find anything to connect the dots. Not chemicals, but I may be allergic to computers (I'm in Tech Support). I spend a good half of my waking hours within feet of a computer, if not physically using or working on one.

So, now it's just after eleven, and I'm tired. I'll check back on this over the next few weeks. In the mean time, if anyone can point me to additional resources, I'd be grateful. I don't know if you're supposed to put your e-mail address here, so I'll hold off on that for now.

Cheers.

:0)

As a massage therapist, I'm always using my hands and elbows with various oils and lotions. This did not become a problem until I had my second child. After I had her, my eczema flared up like never before. So of course I went to the doctors who ran blood tests and patch tests,found nothing and prescribed many different ointments and pills.Well, obviously there was something very wrong. It wasn't until my chiropractor took one look at my arm and said "You NEED to get acupuncture!" There were no and ifs or buts, she made sure I was treated by our acupuncturist.

I was a little skeptical at first...needles...hmm, no thanks. But my acupuncturist explained everything and assured me it wouldn't hurt. She told me that when you have toxins in your body and you dont flush them out it continues to build within you. I am very allergic to pretty much anything that tastes good. She said "That might be your main problem. You're causing your body inflammation on the inside by eating things it cannot handle and the result is showing up on your skin." She also said "You probably dont drink enough water (this is true) and you dont exercise enough (also true)." Okay, I'll buy that. So I let her stick me with tiny needles. It wasn't painful but I did feel itchiness where some of the needles were placed. I spent half an hour on my stomach and half an hour on my back.

Later that same night, the rashes around my wrists, fingers, knuckles arms and elbows started to lose its red color and wasn't as inflamed. My cracked knuckles were healed the next day! I was impressed. This result lasted until I ate something I was allergic to. SO now I have acupuncture once a month (as a women I get those chocolate cravings during that special time of the month, I cant help it) and since my first session I have lost 20 lbs and 3 inches off my waist. My allergies have forced me into eating healthy and exercising.

If you're like many of us who have tried many different creams, pills or even shots PLEASE CONSIDER ACUPUNCTURE. It's natural and it's safe and it has helped me become functional again. Maybe it will help you too! Google It!

I just started getting these symptoms a few months ago and since I'm paranoid about chemicals tried neem oil since it came highly recommended in some articles i read. Tried it and it seems to be working, the only downside is the smell but I find that I'm growing used to it. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try to see if it works for you. Normally it's used to treat pests on plants, but I also read that it works for pests on pets too, as well as eczema, psoriasis and scabies of all things....hope this helps. :-)

im not sure what it is but im getting this really itchy rashes that comes and goes in my elbows, knees and hands if it gets worse it covers my arms and thighs and sometimes my forehead. it becomes very itchy but will disappear. im still not sure what it is coz of its period of stay in my skin. its mainly a rash coz the skin does not break and it comes in different sizes. depending on how much i scratch it.

I don't know about the all over body rashes, but some of you mentioned rashes on your hands. About 6 years ago I started developing a rash on my hands. It started out in just a few spots, but eventually spread all over my palms and started to go to the back of my hands. I had just had a baby, so I didn't know if it was something hormonal. I went to my regular doctor, who sent me to a dermatologist. The dermatologist was stumped and called it contact dermatitis (after all I was changing about a bazillion diapers and washing my hands a lot). I then moved on to an allergist who said it was not consistent with a food allergy, but he did allergy testing. I turned out to be allergic to darn near everything that is airborne, but no foods. There were no tests done on chemicals. After coming the the end of the line with the doctors, I just learned to cope with it the best I could. It alternated between being intensely itchy to painful. The rash consisted of clusters of tiny blisters that would weep then heal leaving behind some scarring and skin tightening. It took me years to finallly find the culprit. One day I was finally at my wits end, still having the rash yet my children were no longer in diapers and my hands were no longer exposed to wipes, extreme handwashing, etc. I thought hard about what I was coming in contact with or ingesting every day. And I realized that I was drinking diet cola every day, many times a day, more than ever since being sleep deprived from the kids. I quit diet cola immediately (boy was that hard!) The itching subsided and within a month I was all clear. I tried drinking a diet soda again and within a day a rash started to form again. So I definitely have a reaction to something in diet soda (I'm deducing aspartame as I also have a slight reaction when I chew a stick of gum, and allmost all gum has it). I have also had a slight reaction on my hands when coming in contact with latex paint. I can't possibly imagine what the two could have in common, but I clearly have a chemical sensitivity to these things.

I just thought I would share this info in case it could be helpful to someone else. I do not have the same reaction with regular soda. I don't even try to comsume anything with splenda in it. I figure my body is trying to tell me to stay away from the chemicals. Good luck to all of you. I hope you find relief soon.

I have suffered with this for the past three years, and before that, I went through a stent of about a year with it as a child. We believe the first breakout when I was nine was triggered by the use of chalk (for gymnastics). I went on a treatment regimine (after I had tolerated it for months), I can't remember the name of the cream, but I believe it was very common then. I had to coat my hands in it, then sleep with breathable gloves on. It took a long time, but it did eventually go away. And I continued in gymnastics, with using chalk, and didn't have another flare up until I was twenty-one.

I don't remember what caused it, I credit it to stabbing myself underneath the finger with a dirty fork (I worked in a restaurant as a server). Subsequently, I discovered that I had contracted a fungus from my nail technician's dirty tools while having acrylic nails put on. I think that the fungus infected the open wound underneath my nail and triggered my excema (or however you spell it). So, in the last two years I have delt with it, it gets really bad, then worse, then will almost completely go away. it has also spread to my feet - but only my hands and my feet. It appears as patches of small blistersthat pop and ooze some kind of lovely fluid - and ITCH like crazy. I wake up in the middle of the night rubbing my hands together.

Anyhow, I wrote this to recommend trying Vani-Cream. I purchase it on drugstore.com, they also sale soaps and facial cleansers. It won't make it go away, well maybe for you it will, but for me it just controls it. It helps my grandmother as well, who also suffers from this yucky rash. Also, the less you scratch, the better it is.

Ha! I knew I wasn't crazy to link this with coke!! I have suffered for about 14 yrs. or so with the same "dermatitis", the itchy blisters between fingers, etc., that absolutely drives you nuts. I have found one prescription cream that worked wonders on me and that is Embilem E (sp?). I would apply it and it would be gone within hours, so if you want something topical, ask your doctor about this. Still, though, who wants to keep dealing with it? I had just accepted it as part of my life but during the pregnancy of my second child, I quit drinking cokes cold turkey, and guess what??? The rash disappeared immediately and no rash to date and we are going on 2 years!!! Also, like the other person said, if I drink a coke (and I have found a correlation with chocolate and other "junk") I will have a rash within a day. The onset of these rashes also correlates to the time I started drinking cokes like crazy. I also believe that stress, lack of sleep, etc. plays a role, but I am convinced that it is some chemical, or corn syrup or something. However, now I have something new which is why I am on here, it is more like bug bites on my elbows and knuckles and I think my legs are breaking out, too. I had it about a month ago and thought it was warts until it went away as fast as it came and I forgot about it. But yesterday morning, bam, I have it again. Both elbows, knuckles and upper thighs. It's kind of like chigger bites or something, very itchy. I am sure it is something I ate, but what? I always have some type of skin issue........ 8-| I don't have any more of the Embilem E (I finally threw it away because it was out of date and I didn't have THAT problem any more.) It sounds like the other post that said it was in lines where the nerves are or something.....can anyone give me more info on accupuncture? I am more and more convinced that what goes in shows up outside in some form or fashion, some of us are more sensitive than others. After all those years and it was the COKE, so look at what you are ingesting--I was told it was contact dermatitis and I always thought it was soap, etc., but it is definitely internal for me. I am sure my current problem is something I ate, but what? Those new mint M&Ms maybe.......sigh. I guess I can't have any fun. Hope this might help someone.

I have dealt with this for just a couple years now and its comforting to know that i'm not the only one, although I wish a permanent cure for us all!

It all started with a single bump, it was itchy and I was irritable in a small apartment, with no working a/c in the summer, and doing something else; so I itched it like hell with my beard stubble. It got a lot bigger over the course of the day, and eventually the skin broke. It was, at the time in between my thumb and index finger area. After it went away it moved, to my middle finger just before the first knuckle. Bumps appeared on my elbows shortly after this.

I have been using hydrocortisone acetate cream, various name brands - and after a month of use, the eczema receeds. Longest its been gone is about five months, and now its back. It seeps liquid sometimes, particularily if I run it directly under hot water, although it feels really good for a minute it worsens the breakout by a lot, so whatever you do; do not do that!

My husband suffered from itchy hands and feet for a few years before discovering what it was. It would start as fairly mild itching before becoming more intense and spreading further.
Yes - it is aspartame - also known as phenilyanaline (sorry thats probably spelt wrong)
The itching starts whenever he eats/drinks anything with this in and the longer and more he eats (usually unintentionally) the worse it will get.
Look out for it in all diet drinks, and diet sweet foods. It is very often in low fat options as well - yoghurts - but can also be in savoury foods such as baked beans.
Anyone suffering from itchy hands or feet, particularly where it does not seem to be atopical dermatitis should try giving up foods with this in for a few weeks

I have this allergy. i had for about two months. The itching is really irritating its predomanatly on my fingers, arms, back shoulder, elbow, down my knee and on my feet. the funny thing about the rash is that it gets bad in the evening just when i am about to go to sleep.

I cant get anything to get rid of it. its the first time i have this itchiness. its really affecting my life.

I went to the doctor and was giving Laura 10 tablets which seem to help but are not getting rid of it. when it gets really itchy i run hot water agaist the rush (on my finger) it seems to relieve the itchiness for a while.

The doctor say i am exposed to something but i cant seem to figure out what it is. i have changed my bedding, painted the house, Thoroughly clean my car.

i really dont know what it is!!

Help!!!

regards,
27ys,Male----South-Africa

27 year old- It could be scabies and you need medical treatment. Scabies is like lice that gets in your skin. Always worse at night. You can look it up on most medical sites.

It sounds like some of you could have scabies. Try a Nix cream, wash all clothes and bedding in hot water, then see if it doesn't clear up.