I have just started to use Aloe vera juice because I heard that it’s excellent for diabetes. Today I notice that I have rash on my hands. I suppose that it happened because I started to take that juice. But maybe I’m wrong. I’m wondering can you be allergic to Aloe vera?

Yes, of course. It’s not so common but it can happen. Usually people who are allergic to onions and garlic, and plants of the Liliaceae family may have allergic reactions to aloe vera. I think you should stop use aloe juice for awhile and see what will happen. You can try it again after few months.

I never had a problem with aloe vera before this year, but believe I have developed an allergy.

I don't know about the juice, but since I have had a reaction on my face, I don't ingest the juice anymore. I used to put a couple capfuls in cranberry juice. It is supposed to help with digestive problems.

My reaction was last month (& a little bit yesterday) - both times on my face. Yesterday was minor and I basically just washed the tiny amount aloe gel off when the red wouldn't go away.

But a month ago, I put an aloe gel/juice compress on the left side of my face for about 4 minutes. When I removed the wash cloth, I saw what I soon figured out was a severe reaction. I couldn't believe it. I've used aloe for years. The swelling got worse, and I got ready to go to the hospital ER, because it looked very similar to a horrible penicillin reaction I had had years ago. Just about to go out the door, I was thinking - what will they do first? I remembered back to my penicillin reaction - I had waited overnight that time, not realizing I should have gone to the ER. I went in to my doctor in the morning and he turned white, almost fell over [I had red and hot and huge welts all over my face, elbows and knees] - and pulled out a needle in a nano second and gave me a shot of cortisone - after which he told me what was wrong with me]. I was in bed for a week with that.

With this facial "reaction" just the side of my face where the aloe had been was "reacting". So I thought: "They will start with a cortisone injection." Now I had already slathered my face with vitamin E in hopes of preventing tissue damage (the vitamin E did not reduce the redness or swelling however]. When I remembered the "cortisone" part, I realized I had a cheap tube of cortisone cream from the dollar store on the shelf. I slathered that all over the left side of my face. It worked so quickly, that the redness and swelling started to go down immediately. With two more applications within a half hour, the swelling and red had almost completely disappeared and in 20 more minutes, my face was back to normal.

As a side note, I researched it on the internet, and cortisone shots or pills WILL elevate your blood sugar. The cortisone cream does not elevate blood sugar.

Hope this helps someone - the answer is yes, you can definitely be allergic to aloe vera, even after using it externally and internally for over 20 years. In my case I thank the following in this order. Thank you Lord, thank you Dr. Zimmerman, and thank you Dollar Store for the cortisone cream.

I have a serious allergy to all aloes and other cacti. I have to be very careful because any contact with aloe will start a severe reaction, even if someone else uses an aloe product and then touches me or something that I touch. I have to be very careful now because aloe is used in so many soap and food products. I can go into anaphylactic shock if I am in contact with too much of it.

Yasmin, how did you go with the aloe vera issue?

I'm keen to learn what form you took the aloe vera in - was it a bottled juice, or fresh from leaves you picked in your garden?

Regards, Olwen :-)

Guest wrote:

You cant be allergic to Aloe. Its a pure substance made by G-d.
The aloe is reacting to something else already in your system....something that is prob not a pure substance.
Our bodies are full of toxins we ingest in food, meds, the air....
Fast for a few days, stop eating anything that might be full of toxins and try the aloe again.
I bet it will work when your body is detoxed.

that's the silliest thing I've ever heard. To say that because something is "natural" it can't possibly have ill effects is pretty ridiculous thinking. People have allergies to all kinds of natural things. You can't tell someone who is allergic to peanuts that they must just have toxins in their body and should just fast for a few days before eating God-given peanuts. Regardless of how many days said person fasts, they could still end up in anaphylactic shock if they eat peanuts.
Besides, there are plenty of "natural" things that are bad for you! Poison mushrooms anyone? God gave them to us but gee I think they're bad for you.

Yes, you can have allergy from aloe vera or if you have commercial aloe vera you can be allergic to some preservative additive. It is important to buy from only high quality certified producer.

well from what i am hearing no one here is really allergic to aloe vera.aloe has over 200 constituents and can cause rashes. I am allergic to aloe vera and I have been since I was born. The smell causes me to be hospitalized as well as just touching someone who has it on due to the lotion the were wearing. I have to be very careful because my reactions are very lethal. So I think you guys are just suffering from the minor side effects commn to most that use aloe vera based products

When I was a baby I had a severe skin rash that got worse with anything that was put on it. It caused me to be submerged in paraffin oil (I think) for hours a day, for about 6 months until it cleared up but they never found the cause.

Fast forward 20 years and I was living in sunny California (originally from Ireland with pasty skin) and got a bad sunburn. I smothered my arms, chest and legs in aloe vera straight from the plant that I broke off. I had a severe reaction and burn that made the sunburn feel like nothing. All thoughout the years I always had a slight burning from using soap / handwash etc but never thought anything of it. Ever since the sunburn anything I touch that has aloe vera burns and I realise it even if I had no idea it was in it.

I have the same reaction with eucalyptus and pine sap etc. One time I was out and had a risotto that had eucalyptus in it and had an anaphylactic reaction to it so I would consider these / this (I reckon theres a link between the oils) to be an allergy, not an intolerance and not with synthetic products but with the plants themselves.

Someone just bought me an aloe vera plant for my new apartment - I haven't the heart to tell them that the stuff is evil :-)

Aloe is AWFUL! If I touch anything with aloe in it, I get a bright red rash in a matter of seconds. Unfortunately most toiletries and cosmetics (especially the "natural" ones) contain aloe. The stuff is dirt cheap, and, being natural, it also carries the "good for you" halo. I wish they all did some homework to figure out what they are having people slather on their skin!

I am severely allergic to Aloe Vera and have been for approx 10 years. I wasn't allergic to it until after I became pregnant with my first daughter. I found out I was allergic when I had a sunburn and tried the normal relief/cure of aloe. It started with a burning sensation and ended with me being in so much pain I couldn't move. This allergy has progressed to the point of if it gets on my skin I immediately itch, then I get hives and then I end up throwing up. If I ingest it the symptoms seem to be backwards, vomiting, then hives that itch.
My allergy has affected the way my husband shops and what products he uses. His shaving cream has aloe and he has to take a shower after shaving, cause when he doesn't I suffer. We double and triple check the ingredient lists on everything, food or otherwise. I really don't like being one of the 1% in the entire WORLD that has this allergy. I would like to know if other peoples symptoms are as severe. The last time I ended up in the hospital because some one got on the bus after me and sprayed an aloe based perfume. The hospital gave me a cortisone shot and it helped me breathe, but I don't want to go through that again.

I just recently have a very strange allergic reaction not quite sure if it's Aloe Vera,,but now seems quite possible..first had it on
my face and my face became puffy and redder...recently had purchased Aloe Vera drink...went to the dr for allergy meds...never
has happened to me before and I have been using Aloe Vera for many years and used to have a plant in the yard..this posts are
leading me to believe it could be the culprit...lots of others around..pollen, mold...thanks for the info.

To the poster who told someone, "you can't be allerrgic to X as it was made by G-d and is pure". Sadly, you're very wrong. G-d, it seems, created allergies in addition to everything else. I'm allergic to all sorts of pure nature like plant pollen and all sorts of other stuff.

Everybody, please talk to doctors about your medical conditions. They're not perfect so get 2nd and 3rd opinions for serious stuff. But don't listen to the nonsense on the www. It's a sea of misinformation and a sort of rat trap for hypochondriacs like me.

i have been suffering for 5 months with a terrible allergic reaction and am now wondering if it is aloe vera? My mattress is a memory foam one with aloe in it, the itching is always worst at night.
Last night i slept in my daughters bed and had hardly any itching 1st full nights sleep in 5 months! Is this possible considering there is a sheet and clothing inbetween me and the mattress do you think? %-)

I am also allergic to aloe vera juice and like you described i get pimples on my hands, very itchy. I tried it the first time and got that reaction. Then i decided to stop for a month, then i took again and right now i am nursing the pimples. I decided to search the web to see if other people react the same way. I have reacted to lemon grass before as well, my body gets swollen all over