I’m 27 and healthy, but recently my doctor’s heard heart murmur while I was on a regular check up. I’m afraid because both my father and mother died due to coronary diseases. The doctor says that it is probably nothing and that my valve it not working right. What exactly does heart murmur indicate in that case?

Heart murmur is one of the symptoms associated with mitral valve prolapse. The “wall” between your left upper and lower heart chambers is not working properly - it is called valve and it makes a border between atrium and ventricle. This valve in your case billows and does not close properly when the blood is pushed to atrium. In some cases regurgitation is possible - it means that the blood is going back from atrium to ventricle. When regurgitation is present the doctor can feel vibration and hear abnormal sounds. Those sounds are called clicks and murmurs. The first sound heard is clicking - it is mid - systolic click. Mid - systolic click is heard during the beating part - when the blood is pushed to the atrium. This click can be followed by heart murmur (similar to whooshing sound) if your heart lets some of the blood returns from the atrium to ventricle. This leaking is not a serious problem (the disorder itself in most cases does not require specific treatment) and annual checks are usually the only “treatment”. However, tell your doctor about the history of heart - related problems in your family. He will probably suggest some tests to exclude the possibility of other heart disorders and more often controls.