Hello! MY mom was diagnosed with mitral regurgitation. Can you tell me a little bit more about this condition ( or whatever it is). Will my mom be ok? I know it has something to do with heart but I don’t know what. Thank you in advance!

HI there! Mitral regurgitation is an abnormal reversal of blood flow from the left ventricle to the left atrium. MR is very common although symptoms sometimes don’t show for many years. The usual causes of this disorder are myxomatous degeneration, ruptured chordae tendineae, collagen-vascular disease, and rheumatic fever. If found in time, a surgery and a follow up treatment should enable a successful treatment. MR affects approximately 5 in 10,000 people. Mitral valve disease is the second most common valvular lesion, preceded only by aortic stenosis. Mitral valve prolapse has been estimated to be present in 4% of the normal population.