I have mitral valve prolapse. The doctor described this condition as something benign and not endangering. He said that it didn’t need any treatment and that I was only to check my condition once in two years. He explained that the chances of worsening were minor and completely comforted me. I’m 32 and I play football, exercise regularly, and take great care of my diet. But I started feeling weird chest pain and heart palpitations about two weeks ago. Are those related to mitral valve prolapse? I have the feeling that I will have a heart attack - the chest pain is very severe and it appears usually early in the morning, when I get up, or after I get tired. As for heart palpitations, all I can say is that it is not very pleasant situation when you become aware of your heart. What to do?

You are a young person, physically fit and healthy, apart from the minor disorder called mitral valve prolapse. Although it is a benign disorder, it must have some symptoms. Some of the symptoms are heart palpitations and chest pain. Chest pain is associated with heart attack in minds of people, but the truth is that chest pain in this situation is not related to your heart in any way - it is neither the symptom of heart attack nor the symptom of coronary artery disease. The same thing goes for palpitations - they are very often companions of mitral valve prolapse. Heart palpitations and other irregularities concerning your heartbeat are not dangerous. The possible complication is regurgitation of blood to the atrium (upper chamber) from the ventricle (lower chamber) when murmur can be heard, although everything is working normally. However, if you still feel uncomfortable about your symptoms, visit your doctor, have an echocardiogram and rule out other complications. If anything points out to higher risk of complications your doctor will suggest more frequent check - ups. Basically, you have nothing to worry about.