I had my chest X - rayed and the doctor found fluid in my lungs. He diagnosed mitral valve prolapse. What is mitral valve prolapse - my doctor says it is a heart condition, but he does not recommend treatment. I am only 21.

Mitral valve prolapse is a heart condition, but not a serious one. It usually does not require any treatment and does not endanger your health in any way. This is a congenital disorder - you are probably born with it. Mitral valve is a border between two parts of your heart called the left atrium and the left ventricle. It has two flaps that open to let the blood flow from the atrium to the ventricle (in the period when the heart is between beats). In your case the flaps do not work well and they let the blood go back to the atrium. Usually, there are no symptom of this condition, but a murmur can be heard when the doctor is listening to your heart beats (the flap clicks). Echocardiogram is done and then the doctor can decide whether you need a surgery or not. Surgery is necessary only if your valve lets too much blood back in the atrium. Obviously, the doctor thinks that in your case there is no need for any kind of treatment. You will just have to take antibiotics before any surgery or dental work because you are more prone to get an infection in this valve.