My husband suffers from the condition called Mitral valve prolapse (MVP). I don’t understand very well this condition and doctor told as back than that cause of this condition is not known. I know only that his heart doest work properly. His only treatment is antibiotics. He has MVP for a long time and we both got used to it. I am writing you this because I recently spoke with a woman who told me that mitral valve prolapse is leading to cardiomyophaty which is more serious condition. I don’t know anyone who has cardiomyophaty or anything about this condition. I would like to know does MVP cause cardiomyophaty and some details about that condition. Thank you.

I would like to explain you what mitral valve prolapse means. The mitral valve is valve that regulates the flow of blood from the upper-left chamber or the left atrium to the lower-left chamber the left ventricle. Mitral valve prolapse means that one or both of the valve flaps are enlarged, and the flaps' supporting muscles are too long. So, instead of closing evenly, one or both of the leaflets collapse or bulge into the atrium, sometimes allowing small amounts of blood to flow back into the atrium and by listening to the heart with a stethoscope, a doctor may hear a clicking sound caused by the flapping of the leaflets. And the condition called cardiomyophaty is a disease of the heart muscle. Causes of cardiomyophaty are never known. However, one of the causes can be coronary artery disease. I am not a doctor but I suppose that there is a possibility that mitral valve prolapse can lead to cardiomyophaty. If you are worried so much you should consult cardiologist about this.