Good day. I am having heart valve propalse for a while now. I don't have idea why I haven't treated it before, but now I need to. At least, my doctor told me so. I don't know what they are and how they can affect my health at all. I am always like that - I don't care at all about my health and when I get worse, I am panicked and I want to deal with it at this moment.Can you inform me a little bit about this? Can you tell me what are the causes of heart valve prolapse? Tnx

Hey there. Look, the exact cause of heart valve prolapse is unknown. It's more common in people who are born with connective tissue disorders. That is what doctors also can tell you, that is what they know. Also, the mitral valve may be abnormal in the following ways:  - If those valve flaps may be too large and thick. - Also, thee valve flaps may be "floppy." and the tissue of the flaps and their supporting "strings" are too stretchy, and parts of the valve flop or bulge back into the atrium. Also, it can be the case if the opening of the valve may stretch.

Well, I don't agree that doctors doesn't know the exact cause. I believe that they do. Listen, when your heart is working properly, the mitral valve closes completely during contraction of the left ventricle and
prevents blood from flowing back into your heart's upper left chamber or left atrium. But in some people who are having mitral valve prolapse, one or both of the mitral valve's flaps (leaflets) have extra tissue bulging (prolapsing) like a parachute into the left atrium each time the heart contracts. Also, you need to know that heart valve prolapse also has a different names.

I also agree that doctors do know what are the causes of it. Some people who have this issue may inherit this condition, especially those are associated with connective tissue disorders like Marfan's syndrome for example. Marfan's syndrome is an inherited disorder of connective tissue that causes abnormally long limbs, loose joints, and bulges in the aorta, the main artery from the heart. It needs to be treated, because if you let it untreated it can cause a lot of problems for you. I don’t even want to scare you with possible problems, but you should treat it all the time. Good luck.

I exactly know how you feel about it. I started to have symptoms constantly such as shortness of breath and swelling in the legs, swelling in my feet etc. It happened to me on the summer so I believed that this has something to do with it, but guess that I was wrong. My hubby told me to go to my doctor and check this just in case. And my doctor, after the ECG find out that I am having heart valve prolapse. They couldn’t find the cause of it, but I am treating it very successfully so far. Beta-blockers, which are medications to slow the heart rate, may be helpful for you as well. They are helpful to me.