I’m 35, male, healthy, going in for sports, taking care of my diet... My only problem is associated with a disorder called mitral valve prolapse. I am warned that I might suffer from weird heart sensations such as disturbed heart rhythm, so called flip-flops etc. I was diagnosed with the disorder three years ago and never had any problems until last week. I felt heart rhythm interruptions and they repeated three days latter and two days ago. Should I see a doctor? I don’t want to sound too panicky since this is a very non - disturbing health issue (I mean the prolapse), but it still has to do with my heart and I am a bit scared.

Your concern is absolutely normal and there is nothing wrong with it. As you are already informed, the variety of the symptoms of the disorder goes from shortness of breath and chest pain to those weird heart sensations you mention. They are called palpitations or extra beats. Those are atrial extra beats (PACs) - they involve left atrium; and premature ventricular extra systoles (PVCs) - they involve left ventricle. Different people describe them in different ways - some mention even the sensation of “heart stopped” while others talk of flip - flops or fluttering. The beats are relatively common and they should not alarm you, sometimes they even occur in a particularly stressful situation. If they concern you that much or if you continue to experience them frequently, inform your cardiologist. He will probably suggest more frequent check - ups and in this way prevent the worsening of the condition. No matter how benign this disorder may be complications are possible. They are associated with the more intense regurgitation of the blood - it means that the blood returns from your atrium to the ventricle. This happens because the flaps do not work correctly and surgery may be the possible solution.