Six months ago I fell and now I have big hematoma on my left thigh. It’s still there. My doctor told me that it will disappear but after six months I thing that I need to do something. Should I go to doctor again? What to do when hematoma not resolving for over six months now? What's going on?

Well, I think that you should go to see your doctor. When I had hematoma, it also didn’t goes away on its own. It was surgically removed after seven months. You should know that the treatment of a hematoma depends on its location and size. Doctor will know how to drain the accumulated blood.

I had an auto accident back on July 30th. It is Sept. 25th. I am still trying to recover from a hematoma on my left hip/gluteal area. I live in pain and cannot sleep at all at night. I am swollen and I constantly am sitting with my weight on my left side and sleeping that way too. My left side is now "worn out" from my weight bearing on it for almost 2 months. My surgeon who performed an Incision and drainage procedure a week after the accident drained out 1 1/2 liters of old collected blood. He left 2 drain tubes in me for 5 days and another 1/2 liter drained out during that time. I know what you people are going thru and I also cannot believe a hematoma of this nature. Never heard of it going on this long. My surgeon told me that maybe by the holidays I will be well...that is in another 2-3 months. I don't know how much longer I can suffer with this. I wish he would go ahead and surgically remove it...I would be so much better off. I pray ya'll are getting better.

I had a very large hematoma too after a biking accident, i was in constant pain, couldn't walk well, couldn't sleep even on my back, and after one month and 3 aspirations in the Dr's office i decided to have it drained surgically...i am so glad that i did it, it's now all gone! i'm back to normal now! it's a hassle to have 2 stitches and a drain for 4 days, but well worth it...i'm mostly happy that i can now walk normal and I'm pain free!

i had an r.t.a last august. As a result i developed a massive hematoma on my left thigh, 18x22cm roughly.. Two months after the accident it was going nowhere so i had it surgically opened. Even now i am an inch bigger on that side and it still feels bruised. I would defo see your gp and make some noise, i'm sure it can't be good for the rest of the body..

What kind of surgeon did you find? Who did it if you don't mind me asking.

I fell two weeks ago unto my dock and on my thigh.  The hematoma grew to about the size of 1/2 a watermelon!

I just had it removed surgically and had to be put under, which I did not want to do.

I now have a drain for another five days and then hopefully I will be done with this.  Not much pain now, so you need to see a surgeon.

What kind of surgeon, I already saw my GP and he is inclined to do nothing, I want to go directly to the type of doctor that would do this surgery and drainage. Please help. thank you.

I am dealing with the same problem. I was in a car accident in March and still am dealing with this hematoma 6 months and three doctors later. Each keep saying, it will go away, but it hasn't and hurts worse with each passing day. I cannot sleep on it and sit on the edge of my seat all day at work. I've called my doctor back, again, to see what kind of doctor does the surgery to drain these. Where you able to find out anything?

I just had a fall and injured my left buttock. I went to my doctor who said to wait and see if it went away. After 4 weeks of pain and not being able to sit I insisted on going to surgeon for 2nd opinion. He immediately got me in the following day for surgery to evacuate it. He cut a 2" incision and drained a pint of blood from the site which gave me instant relief. There was no infection so he decided not to put a drain in and packed it. I am now 6 weeks out from initial fall and still sitting on an eggcrate cushion at work but from what I had read on other blogs, sometimes these large hematomas can take a year for your body to absorb. If you can function with it, I wouldn't do an evactuation but since I couldn't sit and work, I had no choice.

Wow. This story sounds familiar. I had a bicycle accident if Feb, and developed a large hematoma on my left hip. It's 9 months later and 3 doctors (PCP, chiropractor, and orthopedic) said the same thing...it will go away. I can't golf, had to quit bowling, stopped all aerobic activity, and now I can't even walk without severe pain. I'm going to my second orthopedic doctor next Friday. My quality of life has been affected, and the pain is getting worse each passing day. Sure could use some advise here.

It will be going on three months now since I developed a hematoma the size of a large egg on my left upper thigh after a dog bite.  I did take the requisite anti-botic to prevent infection and have been told that my body may eventually absorb it or that it may also calcify.  Yikes!  A permanent hard lump?!?

It doesn't bother me other than sometimes creating discomfort when lying on my left side at night, although it looks unsightly when I wear fitted clothing.  I guess it troubles my vanity.

If I knew of a quick fix, like an in office draining of the hematoma, I would jump at it.  I also think that the owners of the dog should pay for the surgery.

I have the same problem due to a car accident 7 years ago.  Since then I have been in and out of doctor offices where I have not found any help still to this day!!  When it first happened the emergency room told me that it was a hematoma and it would go away on its own and absorb into the body.  Well after months I still had a huge lump located on my right outer thigh area just below my butt well actually now it has reached that part and goes halfway down my thigh.  It looked as if I had another butt growing! I went back to the doctors and they told me there was nothing they could do that they can't drain a hematoma?!!  Then I went back sometime later and another doctor told me it has been too long since the accident to drain it or do anything about it.  OK so after about a year it was still there but went down a bit and it's now around 7 years later and I still haven't been able to find a doctor that can help me or a doctor that knows what to do...  It basically looks like a permanent bruise and parts of it is indented and parts of it sticks out, there are sections of it that are completely numb and others that hurt so bad everyday with sharp pains and constant aching.  I can't lay on that side for too long at all because it sends a piercing pain through my thigh and side hip area and starts to tingle.  Actually I can't even sit for too long either because the same thing happens.  I am uncomfortable and in pain every single day of my life.  

I am now once again seeking help to try to find the answers and help I need.  My primary doctor doesn't seem to know and rushes me out everytime, he did refer me to see an orthopedic.  Which then he referred me to Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, the doctor scheduled me to go for an MRI which there results were...."The MRI only shows some scar tissue in your thigh--no hematoma, no fluid, no muscle injuries."  And then she referred me to start physical therapy at another place.  What is going on and why is there so much pain and issues then?  Why does no one know, yet I continue to be in pain with doctors all over that cannot help me?

There has to be someone that can help me or tell me what kind of doctor I need to see... I'm 26 years old and far too young to have to live with this the rest of my life.  Please if anyone has any idea or knowledge of this or can help me in any way I'm at my final end of reaching out, I don't know what to do anymore.

Thank you!

I'm in no way an expert, but to me it sounds like you problem is no longer a hematoma. It just sounds like you have scarring that has damaged the nerve endings under your skin. Try talking to another dermatologist.

So I should try a Dermetologist? I never thought to go to one for this. Thanks for your input!