I had a tummy tuck and liposuction in my upper and lower trunch over six months ago. I am still experiencing a tearing sensation in the area of my stomach where the seroma is located. It's really painful when I do ab exercises. I opted to leave the tissue remnants of the seroma, rather than have it surgically removed. Any hope of this thing eventually going away?

Anyone else out there have problems with a seroma?

I had abdplasty six wks ago and still producing a great amount of seroma,drains are still in place,but I'm worried I'm not healing correctly

hi im 13 days post op having had a tt with mr but i think i have a seroma my lowe abdomon is more swolen what shul i do what will happen wil this fluid absorb into my body please help

I know that this is a site for more feminine topics but a seroma is something anyone can develop. Here is my experience:

I am a 37 year old male and I had a seroma following a sigmoid colectomy. My seroma developed about a week following my surgery. The site of my vertical incision was in the my lower abdominal area and the seroma developed at the top of my incision, where more of my fatty tissue was located.

My seroma was about the size of a credit card with a small hole where the fluid would escape. It would "leak" a clear yellow and pink fluid for a few days, requiring multiple bandage changes each day. Then it would heal over. All the while I could feel where the pocket of fluid was located and occasionally it I had the sensation like the tissue was tearing or seperating inside.

After a couple days of not leaking, it would slowly bulge to the point were it would begin to leak again. I went through this cycle exactly five times. Each cycle lasting about a 5 to 7 days. It was very disconcerting and after the third cycle, I really began to worry. After my first leaking episode, my doctor assured me that it would eventually stop leaking and heal over soon enough. But after five episodes I was beginning to truly wonder if this seroma was correctly diagnosed.

But as promised, and another phone call to the doctor, it eventually healed over. Now, 15 weeks after my surgery, I only have a very red area the size of quarter at the top of my incision scar where the fluid would leak out. This red tissue is scar tissue that is a result of the seroma and will eventually disappear along with my incision scar.

If you havent been to your doctor about a suspected seroma, definitely call or go see him/her. Make sure you let them know it has devloped.

I hope this helps.

Seromas are usually benign but can be painful if they get too large. Often, a doctor can drain it in their office. Some times it will slowly come back. You need to make sure that the fluid remains clear, not cloudy. See your doctor if you develop redness or a fever.

I am 14 weeks post surgery ( c section). I developed a seroma 8-9 weeks post op with infection. I as well been through numerous leaks but for the last 5 weeks it has not stopped leaking serous fluid. Now the opening is getting larger over my suture site (size of quarter)
My OB/GYN packed it with sterile dressing which I think is a mistake. Do I leave it alone and hope oneday it will stop draining or continue to pack it. Can she suture the opening closed? Please help! :-(

I'm 21 days post-op tummy tuck and thought I was the only person with a seroma until I read your Emails - feel better already!

My poor lower abdomen felt ready to burst for days and finally started leaking copious amounts 4 days ago from 3 small spots which appeared to be stitch marks. It's leaking less now ( I need to change dressings 3 times a day) but the discomfort continues, particularly at the end of the day, and I wondered whether this is just from being battered and bruised.

I realise that after tummy tuck, hardness and swelling can last for weeks but my problem is that I'm not sure where post-op swelling ends and seroma begins so I'm not sure when to be alarmed and when I can safely feel that I'm on the mend. Also I'm on a heavy dose of preventative antibiotics, are all of you taking them too? I'd be grateful for any advice Thanks and all the best, Lynn :-D

Yes i two developed a seroma after liposuction. I am 3 weeks post - but have been needle drained for the past 2 weeks. The fluid he draws out is blood tinged, i am not sure if thats normal - cause everyone seems to be clear fluid. This is getting to be a pain, having to go to the dr. office everyday, and it sounds like alot of other people have had theirs longer? Dont know what to think.

I am 9 days post of for breast reduction with abdominal lipo. I too feel the sensation that my abdomen is tearing or separating from the rest of my body. I went yesterday for my first post-op appointment and my dr realized that I had formed a seroma, actually several at the different sites of lipo. My drainage was also bloody, but now it is leaking a yellowish-clear fluid, with the occasional hint of pink. He only drained off 150cc of fluid but I did get some relief at the time, but now I feel like I am even more swollen and am about to pop. Is there anything else that can be done to remove this fluid any faster other than going back and forth and being poked with an 18 guage needle?

Yes, I have been suffering from post-op seroma complications. It has been nearly 6 mos. since my surgery and had a drain placed a little over 3 weeks ago and it is to stay in @ least another 3 weeks. I was never informed of this complication verbally or otherwise. I'm also trying some naturopathic methods reccommended by Naturopathic professionals. I'll blog after I find out if it is working.

I have been dealing with a seroma since my tt surgery in Dec. 05. First I went through several months of the fluid being drained in the office, returning every other day until it finally stopped. I had no problems for a few months, then I noticed a large fluid pocket forming again. Went through the every other day draining procedure again for about 2 weeks. Then no problem for a year, until I began some strenous abdominal exercising. It is now bigger than ever, and I am scheduled for surgery in one week. I will have another drain, not sure for how long. I did not go back to my plastic surgeon as complications are covered by my insurance. I am depressed about the whole thing.

HI I HAD LIPO AND TUMMY TUCK 4 MTHS AGO AND I HAVE DEVELOPED 2 SEROMAS AND HAVE HAD 6 MINOR SURGERYS PUTTING DRAINS IN AND OUT. ONCE I GET THEM REMOVED MY TUMMY DEVELOPES FLUID. I HAVE GOTTEN TAPPED ABOUT 6 TIMES AND EVEN HAD ANTIBIOTICS INSERTED IN THE TUMMY AS WELL. I HAVE MORE SCARES ON MY TUMMY NOW THEN I EVER HAD. I JUST GOT MY DRAIN REMOVED 3 DAYS AGO AND I HAVE FLUID AGAIN. IM HAVEING 2 MORE DRAINS PUT BACK IN. AT THIS POINT I DON'T KNOW IF THIS HAS BEEN A WAIST OF TIME OR IF I SHOULD HAVE THE SURGERY DONE ALL OVER AGAIN. IM SCARED AND DESPRITE. IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULD BE GREATFUL WITH YOUR ADVISE. THANKS SYLLENNE :x

After a gallbladder removal 10 days ago i noticed that i had a hole in my stomach and it was leaking a very smelly yellowish fluid, my doctor told me it was a seroma and not to worry, but after reading all the other posts im a little worried. Does anyone elses fluid smell so bad???

I'm 3 1/2 years post-op of a tummy tuck and I've had to have drains put in within the past 3 months, 3 times. I probably had the seroma a long time ago, but just thought it was excess weight until I noticed the "squishy" feeling and thought I should get it checked out. The plan now is to use an irritant (tetracycline) along with drains to see if that solves the problem.

i had a tt with liposuction may 06 and developed a seroma in july. I had to have it drained every week of 100cc to 300cc until november 06. I thought the problem had corrected it self until august of 07 I had this hard tight mass in my lower abdomen and ran a 104 temperature. I went to the ER where they drained 600cc of dark bloody fluid with puss. I had 250cc bloody drainage in september and three weeks ago there was 350cc bright red blood drainage removed. I had surgery on 10/25 to remove the seroma and again removed 350cc of bright red bloody drainage. The dr. claims he had never seen anything like that in his practice of 35 yrs and that it was a formed tumor about 3" thick filled with fluid. So I suggest that if the seroma persists; further investigation may be necessary.