So here’s the deal, I sprained my ankle in March of last year. I went to the hospital after two months and was told that it was just a sprain and it takes awhile to heal. I went back to the hospital three months later because there seemed to be a mass in my ankle that I thought was swelling. After a bunch of tests for inflammation in my veins I was sent home and told all tests came back negative and she had no clue to what it was.
So I went to a podiatrist after the back of my toes began to swell, probably due to my new work out routine and bad ankle. Yes I know dumb me.
So a MRI showed that I split a tendon, sprained two ligaments and bruised a bone. The swelling he said would take awhile to heal so instead of surgery we opted for crutches, cast and a boot. These things were done over a span of six months.
So this doc relocated and I saw someone else in his practice. Mind you it had now been almost a year. Anywho she felt the swelling was not a swelling at all but a hematoma. She prescribed medical socks, the tightest they have, and I have been wearing them for about three months.
Im now here because it’s been a year and the swelling is not gone. Its soft and seems to change from big to small depending on how much Im on my feet.
Im in pain but it feels like the pain is from my ankle bone and not this mass. Im worried and have no insurance and had to stop seeing this doctor due to cost.
Sometimes the pain radiates and feels dull. The mass is soft. I dont know what to do but Im worried and its becoming difficult to walk and even more difficult to fake like Im in no pain for the benefit of my family and employer.
If this is a hematoma can’t they just relieve it? And if so how can I get a hospital to not focus on the sprain but this mass?
Any suggestions?

Is your ankle better yet ? I found your email and was interested since I had a similar situation 7 yrs ago. I did get better. It took me 3 years plus before I was totally normal. I did have to work hard to get the right treatments.

I am also in similar situation and sprained my ankle 4 months back. There is a soft lump on my ankle over the injured site.

Can you share your email so that I can talk to you regarding this?

I am also in similar situation. I sprained my ankle 4 months back. Most of the swelling have gone down since then except a lump on the sprained ankle. Could you please share email address so that I can talk to you regarding this?

Did your ankle get any better. I have a hematoma band constant swelling and stiffness. Taking way too long. Any help appreciated.

It has to be drained by aspiration from a needle. See orthopedic surgeon for detail

Hi, I have same problems. My ankle has been sprained 1 month ago, rested for weeks and there is a soft lump still on my ankle; sometimes it makes sounds (popping).

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

m. Please suggest me something useful and meaningful. Thanks

I sprained my ankle 3 years ago despite steroid injections and physiotherapy I still have a movable lump in the area which can be painful if I stand for a while or after walking any ideas ?

Also have a hematoma on my ankle from a kick by my horse. Entire leg/foot was badly swollen so hematoma went undetected until it pushed against the bone and broke thru the skin. Area became infected. After in-patient treatment by surgeon, there is now a hole on the side of my ankle about the size of a quarter. It is about 1/4" or more deep. Surgeon says it will heal, needs to do so from the inside out. My instructions are to wash it 2/day with a special soap and keep it bandaged; no other medications on the wound area. He had just checked another patient into the hospital with horse kick wound and hematoma; I think the plan was to prevent a situation like mine by aspirating the hematoma before it ruptured. Take care.